Pvc pipes for curved walls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tried using pvc pipe for curved enclosure. Glued 1" pipes around sides and filled them with sand. Covered the sides with screening and Bondo. Finished by painting faux cherry on top and sides.

Attachments

• fourpix.jpg
    fourpix.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 606
Trusound -

That's a sweet looking design you have - looks a little like an orion, but with a sealed bass unit? Is that a 10" SEAS woofer there? And how did you build the bass enclosure? Looks like laminated mdf maybe? That would be one solid box, probably with great sonic characteristics given the triangular shape. How are you amplifying/crossing over this? Active, etc?

Thanks for info.

Thanks!!!!

Yes it is modeled after the orion...but I took the looks to something that I would like and made it more organic.. all SEAs drivers T25CF002, W22EX, W26FX001.

The top will be painted a candy burgandy while the bottom that holds the 10 will be wrapped in a cherry veneer...

to make the bottom, I made a jig out of 3/4 mdf. and then traced it onto a sheet of 3/4 mdf and rough cut each one with a jig saw. Then I used the jig and a trace bit on a router table to make perfect copies..

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/randy_kunin/detail?.dir=b83f&.dnm=2651.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/randy_kunin/detail?.dir=b83f&.dnm=5ab4.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/randy_kunin/detail?.dir=b83f&.dnm=58b2.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/randy_kunin/detail?.dir=b83f&.dnm=3ff0.jpg&.src=ph

With the triangle shape of the bass cabinets, I think triangle-shaped baffles for the mid/tweet section would give them a cohesive look, but to each his own.

Trusound - have you done any listening measurements with the baffle, or were you just going primarily for the look? Some people just build without measuring, which is cool.

it's funny you said that, I originally made the top baffle in the shape of a triangle but didn't care for it to much which is why I changed it..

that was after I built the bottoms and I wasn't going to waste all that wood and time...later I would like to make another set that mimics the top shape and flows better...

And yes, I listend to it for a while and it sounds fantastic...needs a little eq'ng because the baffle is a little small, but I'll never go back to a boxed loudspeaker.. I plan on eventually mating these with a deqx

Curious as to why you went with sealed bass, rather than dipole? And just how is that SEAS 10"? Obviously not like a Peerless XLS, but I'm guessing you're going for musical accuracy here. I've thought about using those instead of Peerless, and just use the Peerless for a sealed sub; I'll bet the SEAS 10" obviously mates perfectly with the 8!

I don't need crazy lowend extension, because I'm also doing a sub later..I haven't got the exact xover points, but the w26 will have such a small freq range that I wanted a seamless transition from the w22 to the w26...For the most part it's just there to help out in the midbass reagion...and I wanted a nice punch from it as well..

As far as performance...Seas has yet to dissapoint me and the w26 is a fantastic driver..

What I'm planning to do for my curved panel enclosure is to use a technique similar to trusound's triangle enclosure. Instead of going with straight edges use round ones. I'm not perfecting mine with a router though. I just plan to belt sand then go straight to bondo and sand away, more bondo, more sanding, primer, sand, primer, sand, paint, sand, paint, light sanding, clearcoat

Post #2
I like it very much!

I am very cheap, so would likely end up cutting them in half. Of course then i could nto foll them with anything, and cutting them in half would probably be very difficult.
That is a dayton RS driver? How do they sound?
Super job!

Thanks Tade. Yes that is a Dayton Reference series woofer. I have about 12 hours on it and have no complaints. It looks good and is also shielded. The enclosure is quite dead which helps alot. Tweet is a TB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.