what to build o guild masters - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2005, 05:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default what to build o guild masters

hi all....
it's me again, and I am dying to start building my veritas. However Since i figured out what to build, my mum has commisioned me to build her something too. She wants something that is clear with good bass and the enclosure doesn't matter (any size or shape). She listens to some kennyg, classical, and a little bit of rock like Zeppelin and the like. I did post on our competetor board HTG and they mentioned an extremis based design but i am looking for something that is a floorstander and maybe a three way. She has around the thousand mark to spend (CAD). It will be powered (for now) with an old sansui amp (100w/ch). I did do some looking around and found some designs, like some Zalytron kits - Axon Line arrays with 12 - 6 inch and 6tweeters and also a different variation. Looked at the Murphy Blaster site and found the three way MB01W Based system - also the super spires from CSS.ca Problem is that I have never heard a line array before nor open baffle. Did some research on the super spires and found that it was "lacking in the bass department" Has anyone heard these speakers? Very interested in all of them but can't choose based on one or two comments. Maybe I could do a MTM and powered sub on both sides - how does that sound?
Old 23rd October 2005, 08:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Take your mum to different stores so she can tell you what
she likes/dislikes to gauge your DIY project.
Old 23rd October 2005, 06:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That's a great idea, I'll look for some high end shops in my city, but it is a little small for good high end stores, just the big box ones like Future shop (Best Buy) and Visions. I may need to go to Calgary (2hrs away) to find some, but well worth the trip
Old 24th October 2005, 06:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I got snaffued! My mum has different things to take care of as of today so she lowered her budget to @200 bucks
looked at the Zaph site and she decided that the silver flute (w14rc-25-08)and vifa (d27tg15) bookshelf looks good - It's the one with the slanted woofer baffle. Also its in her range - now.
I just need to put the numbers into a good program and see what size port to put in the sucker... any ideas?
anyone make this particular one?
thanks for all your help... again.

Aussie
Old 24th October 2005, 12:49 PM   #5
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

You could also take the easy way out and use a single FR125S per bookshelf.
Old 25th October 2005, 05:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by simon5
You could also take the easy way out and use a single FR125S per bookshelf.

but that would take all the fun out of it, wouldnt it
seriously though.... anyone make these? I'm thinking to pocket screw the front angled baffle to the main enclosure. or would screwing it to some sort of gusset around the inside front be a better idea?
Old 26th October 2005, 05:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

ok... so i've got the front baffle almost ready for the driver cutouts. I think i'm going to use the gusset technique for mounting to the box - it should work very well.
I do have a question though... does the low pass inductor need to be a steel laminate core 2.2mH (.3ohms) or can I change to a more readily available one, say an air core but higher DCR? What would that do to the crossover?
Old 28th October 2005, 12:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

ok... so I'm getting kinda anxious to finish these things and want to cut out the speaker holes - I need to cut out the holes before I can put the two part front baffle together. What I am wondering is if I can trust the dimensions from the solen website on the silver flute woofer (w14rc2508 142mm overall, 122mm cutout and 5mm flange thickness) and the vifa tweeter (d27tg15 104mm overall, 75mm cutout and 4mm flange) and also I know that the inductor question is a little obvious but I'm having a hard time finding a steel lam one at 2.2mH.
this hobby is awesome and you guys know your stuff so I ask you all!
Old 28th October 2005, 08:38 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by aussie78
in my city
Lethbridge?

dave
Old 29th October 2005, 03:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

As a matter of fact... YES indeed it is!
have you been here before?

Hide this!Advertise here!