Time to buy speakers for a Line Array - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2005, 06:24 AM   #1
Zreon is offline Zreon  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Zreon Send a message via MSN to Zreon Send a message via Yahoo to Zreon
Default Time to buy speakers for a Line Array

Well I'm ready to start buying the speakers for my line array. I'm planning a OB with 16 NSB's per side. I was stuck on the tweeter for a while and was originally looking at 24 of the Onkyo 3/8" tweeters but then I started looking at the super tweeters and found this one.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=272-115

Shortly after that I found a thread where someone used 16 NSB's and that same tweeter. Once the guy finished building it though, he just disappeared off the forum and never gave his thoughts on how it sounded.

Has anyone else used the NSB's with that tweeter? Or can anyone make a suggestion on another tweeter / tweeters that would go good with 16 NSB's per side?

I'm really excited about this project and can't wait to start building it.

One more question, is everyone who have used the NSB's in a line array still pleased with how they sound? I guess you can't really complain at $.49 a piece, but I was just wondering if after listening to it for a while you start noticing stuff and think about upgrading? I know thats how I am with my projector. If I notice that the convergance is off at all, it drives me crazy through the entire movie, lol.

Any input on this is much appreciated.
Old 23rd October 2005, 10:49 AM   #2
Celeste is offline Celeste  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm building my 16 NSB LA with Dayton PT2 plainer. Boxes just about finished now, so I haven't done any on baffle measurement and crossover work yet, I thought I would start off with a DCX while i was working on the crossover , but they are out of production and stock for the near future. So who knows when I'll get to listen to them.

Celeste
Old 23rd October 2005, 03:53 PM   #3
RJ is offline RJ  United States
diyAudio Member

I have used that tweeter, but not in a line array. I use the Dayton PT2's. That supertweeter is JohninCR's idea. Maybe he'll pop on and explain how he uses it in his array.
JohninCR also puts in 4 erasers from the pencil ends to dampen the cone resonance. Works great. I installed that tweeter in the back of my MTM's that had a falling upper treble at 10 khz. Not only did I have that upper octave but the imaging depth also improved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my line-arrays.jpg (45.0 KB, 293 views)
Old 23rd October 2005, 07:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Zreon,

Built an array with 13 of the NSB's and 4 on the onkyo 3/4 tweeters per side. I used a very narrow front baffle (4 1/4"). I coated the NSB's with 2 thinned coats of puzzle glue and cut a 1/4" hole in the center of the dust covers. I did not use any duct seal on the spiders (althought I will in any future projects).

I ran the NSBs full range and the onkyos above 8500 hertz.

I built them as a practice project. My intention has been to build a large array with 6 Aura mid-basses and 9 linaeum tweeters I have per side. The NSB arrays sound good and can get very loud. I'm now in no hurry to build the new arrays. I can happily live with these guys for a while. In fact I bought 9 cases (yes that's 288 NSBs) to make a bunch of HT systems for loved ones.

One note the NSBs need a sub. If you try to drive them hard below their FS (110hz) you will probably fry them. I have pushed them very hard with no distortion or problems, but I am crossing over to a sub at 180HZ.

I've had a thought about incorporating a sub into each cabinet kind of like what Infininity does with this speaker:

http://infinitysystems.com/homeaudio...e_twr_wsub.jpg

Good luck with the array and post pics, we all love looking.

Best,
Ralph

Hide this!Advertise here!