Midrange Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a midrange suggestion for a project I'll be working on. I would like a driver that is easy to work with. My budget is 100 each (200 a pair).. I could be willing to go a bit higher IF there is a compelling reason.

It would be crossing over to a ribbon at 4-6khz, and a woofer at 400-600hz. I'd like to keep it as wide range as possible, and use it almost like a fullrange speaker with a super tweeter and subwoofer unless there is a compelling reason not to.

The ribbon is a fountek JP3 and the woofers are Dayton RS270 (10").

I could also go for a pair of mids if the overall price is the same (200 bucks or so).

Thanks!

I was thinking a WR125 with my ribbon.

Is there a good crossover already designed? I am pretty sure that JP3 is the same/very similar to the Aurum Cantus that is used in RAW's speaker. Is there an "open source" version of this crossover? Or if RAW has published it, where is it?

Is there a reason, however, to use a more expensive midrange?

This is off my original topic, but:

Assuming I have my Dayton RS270s and my Fountek tweeter, and whatever midrange I decide upon,

Where do I start to design a crossover. I've been reading a lot about peoples initial crossover designs being very poor, and it seems like a very expensive thing to do poorly.

I have a measurement microphone but no way to take T/S measurements..... Would it be better to sell these at a loss and go with a more proven design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.