Von schweikert vr-4sr clone anyone? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2005, 05:04 AM   #1
sqlkev is offline sqlkev  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Von schweikert vr-4sr clone anyone?

http://www.vonschweikert.com/vr4sr.html

Click the image to open in full size.

I found a pair of these at a local audio shop. I really dig the looks, esp the slanted midrange/tweeter cab.
Does anyone have the plans to share? or any thoughts on the design?

From the appearance,
the vr-4sr looks like it carries the vifa xt25 as the tweeter,
some high-efficiency midrange that seems to be audax-type
and of course the seas L woofers

I already have a pair of xt19 in possession
midrange, i'm willing to experiment (budget minded though)
woofers, I've seen test that the rs225 actually have better distortion figures in the bass/midbass region than the excels, so I'll go with the dayton.

comments? thoughts?
any ideas on the rear firing ambience tweeter?

btw, I'll be running active, so there's some tuning flexibility
Old 21st October 2005, 05:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

reading more descriptions from website, the vr-4sr sounds like a real challenge to clone

Quote:
The triple-chambered transmission line is a hybrid design composed of three separate chambers coupled to the room by a tuned vent at 23 Hz. The chamber filling is acoustic foam and Dacron. The 4"-wide vent tube with 7" flare extends bass response without the "one note bass" problem found in other ported systems. Dynamic range is incredible due to the large amount of low frequency air movement.
triple chambered, I can't get away with just a simple ported design now can i?
Old 21st October 2005, 06:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

looks easy as pie to clone

TL's aren't hard to do... you don't have to make it EXACTLY the way they did... just do the same things

have you heard these BTW???
Old 21st October 2005, 09:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

personally, i find that the baffles will require some serious woodworking on my part , so that's the 1st hard part

second, it would be easier if there's a clone documented somewhere, i'd like to know the exact cab's sizes and cutouts.

I also have no experience in any triple chambered enclosure, so I'm sure there's more researching for me to do. The dayton rs225 won't have the same cab's space requirements and tuning should be different as well.

I was at the auditioning room and was actually more intruiged with the newer Focal (yes, i said Focal) Profile.
I had the pleasure to listen to the new focal tweeters and totally forgot about the vr-4sr. Yes, they are quite amazing.
Old 21st October 2005, 05:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well I based one of my projects on these:

Just with better mid and treble drivers. They were also sealed on the bass but later ported no TL thought.

I scraped the design and decided to do something unique rather than try to mash together bits from a proven high end speaker.

I can tell you for certain the drivers though:

Vifa XT25 treble
Audax PR170 mid
2 x Seas L22-RNX4/P bass

The XO points are also documented on the VR website so you'd have some good starting points if you wanted to do a proper clone.

Also the sizes of the individual cabinets ie. sat and bass are documented on the VR website. I followed these but chopped my bass cabinet down because I was going sealed rather than TL, hence its shorter than the actual VR4-SR.

The real construction problems are the sat, the sides are sloped, the baffle has angular sections, there's angles toe rear also. Its completely do-able as I've shown but there's more time involved and you need to draw up some CAD models to get the angles and sizes accurate.

I still have my dimension in a CorelDraw 12 file somewhere and I've got a load of pics that I took whilst building.
Old 21st October 2005, 07:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

ShinOBIWAN, how long did it take you to build these? and what kind of price range were you in (CAD) ? They look wonderful, but how do they sound?
Old 21st October 2005, 08:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Shinobiwan,
great job on the cabs, they look wonderful,
how did you go about with the sat. cab?
I surely need all the tips i can get.

Do you still have the speakers in your possession?
Old 22nd October 2005, 04:03 PM   #8
Frode is offline Frode  Norway
diyAudio Member

ShinOBIWAN, what's the colour on the speakers?

Frode
Old 23rd October 2005, 12:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aussie78
ShinOBIWAN, how long did it take you to build these? and what kind of price range were you in (CAD) ? They look wonderful, but how do they sound?
The cabinets were abandoned and the bass drivers changed. New versions still ongoing. I'd say around 5-6 months to design, build and finish the ones in the pictures.

Materials wise they come to a total of around 2000UK. That doesn't include the active crossover though.
Old 23rd October 2005, 12:58 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frode
ShinOBIWAN, what's the colour on the speakers?

Frode
Its a pearlescent finish.

You can't really see it in that photo but it does change colours depending on light and angle, this photo shows it better:

Hide this!Advertise here!