Aurum Cantus or Raven? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2005, 07:45 PM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by one1speed
It seems the Heils are not that efficient. How do you deal with the difference of them being 4 ohms and only 93 db? I'd imagine the Corals are much more efficient.
We measured the Heils at over 100 dB (and the padding needed to match them to the push-push pair of 92 dB Fostex confirms that....

Old ones seem fine, but when you can buy a new pair for the same kinda price (AMT had some up on eBay for $300/pr)... it will be interesting to see what one1speed gets in reply.

dave

PS: excuse the Excel charts (Excel is just so clunky)
Attached Images
File Type: gif heilfr.gif (33.3 KB, 692 views)
Old 21st October 2005, 07:46 PM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

and here are pics of the Heil/Fostex i was referring to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heil-fostex-incherry.jpg (44.6 KB, 708 views)
Old 21st October 2005, 07:48 PM   #23
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

and an earlier set of 3-way (eminance mid, and original alnico AMT woof/PR)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heil_3way.jpg (87.5 KB, 676 views)
Old 21st October 2005, 08:30 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Dave

Thanks for the picts. I did hear back from Heil and they are saying $300 plus shipping/taxes for a pair. Not bad. Expecially considering the quality everyone speaks of. My only issue is that if I go in that direction, I need to find a way to mount them on an open baffle. Any thoughts?

Layne
Old 21st October 2005, 08:58 PM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I need to find a way to mount them on an open baffle. Any thoughts?
A hole with a "shelf"?

dave
Old 21st October 2005, 09:22 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

i had thought of that as well. have to admit, i don't love the idea. it seems from most of the mountings i've seen, including your picts, the front of the tweeter box is sitting in line with the driver/baffle. this would actually put the ribbon portion of the tweeter behind the baffle, which i'm guessing is not a good thing. i had wanted to mount the tweeter below the full ranger. i could sit it on the bass box, but it still would sit back too far i'd think.

maybe a small shelf could be built above the full ranger? but then i'd want it to sit close to the full ranger. i'm not sure this can work for this. would be tough to get it to work i'd think...
Old 22nd October 2005, 12:15 AM   #27
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One more question, if you don't mind. It seems the Heils are not that efficient. How do you deal with the difference of them being 4 ohms and only 93 db? I'd imagine the Corals are much more efficient.

Thanks!
The AMTs by itself is 100 dB so , the Corals are at 95 dB and I actually need to use an L pad on the AMTs as they are more efficient than the Corals.
Old 22nd October 2005, 03:40 AM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
this would actually put the ribbon portion of the tweeter behind the baffle
However it is mounted. i think i'd try getting the central part of the ribbon flush with the baffle.

dave
Old 22nd October 2005, 12:06 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

You could also consider the Eton ER4 which is a similar technology to the Heils, I believe.
I'm always a bit wary of putting down my hard earned for something that doesn't come well documented. In that respect the AC G2Si has been thoroughly tested. Check out:

http://206.13.113.199/ncdiyaudio/mar...st_results.htm

I'm in the middle of a new design at the moment. As part of the project I am trying out an Eton ER4 and will also be evaluating an AC 2Gsi and Raven R2 when they finally arrive.

My inital impressions of the ER4 are mostly positive. Smooth & detailed. Low efficiency, hard to mount and a rising response that needs some EQ. I'm currently struggling with it's dipole nature and the effect that has on the power response. More work is needed here.

I can send some FR plots of the ER4 if you're keen.

Cheers,
Ralph
Old 22nd October 2005, 07:27 PM   #30
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Eton AMT's price is double of the Heil and looks considerably less impressive, if that means anything. The Eton's efficiency is pretty low at 88db, not really what Speed is looking for.There's also the Mundorf AMT but its price is even higher (~$400 for a 2340) and efficiency only marginally better at 90db for the lower priced models; 104db for the rest; HF extension is lacking when compared to most super tweeters.
I'd take the Heil over other AMTs due to it's proven, well documented and impressive performance. My view may be coloured by a few years of lusting after a pair, now that I know they're still available at a relatively low price I'll be buying a pair in the near future, I'm not bound by the mounting issue that Layne is...anyone want to trade for a hardly used pair of OEM G3's ?

Hide this!Advertise here!