Questions about Exodus Audio Kit 41

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm considering doing the Exodus Audio Kit 41 that includes the CSS WR125S as the woofer. Their recommendation for enclosure for the kit is a 7.1L (1/4 ft^3) cabinet, and includes a 1.5in. x 4in port tube. Using WinISD (0.44) I modelled it as follows:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The purple line is the result of setting enclosure size to 7.1L, and finding a port tuning that matched the port tube supplied (60Hz). The green line is the enclosure/tuning recommended by WinISD. The recommended values are 26.6L/42.41Hz (2in x 3.45in port).

Sooo... My question is, would building the 'green' enclosure necessitate changes to the crossover, or would the supplied crossover work fine in the new enclosure?

There's no hurry on this: I probably won't get to this before the first of the year, I just want to be thinking about it :)

Thanks!

Tom.

It won't effect the crossover but I'd caution you about your modeling results.

#1. The model doesn't account for VC heating, suspension non-linearities and port compression. Under lower power levels the speaker will have slightly less of a hump than your model shows which helps with low volumes (Fletcher-Munson) and offer a little extra bass perception with a limited bandwidth device.

When you turn them up you get the effects of port compression which flattens out the hump a fair amount.

#2. Make sure you can build a box size/tuning frequency that is actually usable. The modeling programs will often suggest something that isn't buildable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.