Dayton RS28A tweeter quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a couple of Dayton RS28A tweeters because I heard that they could be crossed very low, even at 1200Hz. One of the tweeters does well after removing the transparent diffusor thingie behind the grid and recentering the dome assembly.
Yes recentering. It is not centered automatically as the whole assembly leaves quite some friction: when you move it (in the gap) using this friction you can hear distortion vary between very good and totally unbearable. That is, if you have a "good" one.
The other one souded horrible out of the box and can't be centered properly. After close inspection it appeared that the pole piece isn't centerd well in the gap! The gap is at one side twice as wide as at the other!
This tweeter has great potential but it really needs QA.
If you have to buy four to get a functioning pair it's a very expensive and bothersome tweeter. I'm fed up with it and will buy a quality product next time. By the way, the other Dayton RS drivers I bought(RS225) are great.

Couple of comments:

1) There is a German distributor, boxen-baustelle.de. They are more expensive, but do offer European 2 year warranty, and will probably also carry the cost for returning defective goods to them.

2) Is the VC assembly freely centerable? I have not yet opened any RS28s, but their close sibling, the Usher 9950. The top plate of the Usher has a few pins that fit into holes in the VC assembly. There is no way to recenter the assembly without either grinding off those pins or making the holes bigger.

3) Unlike the Usher, the Dayton uses copper shielding on the outside of the gap in addition to the inside shielding. Maybe it is not the pole piece but one of the copper rings that is maladjusted?

I have not had any problems. . .

Mine are built like a tank and sound very good. There is a slight roll of above 10k, but I am deef there anyway.

I have not pulled them apart and don't plan on it. I also have the ushers and they are also built like a tank. Both use the same face plate.

If they are so bad, send them back to PE for a refund.

p

1) There is a German distributor, boxen-baustelle.de. They are more expensive, but do offer European 2 year warranty, and will probably also carry the cost for returning defective goods to them.

I will order through them next time

2) Is the VC assembly freely centerable? I have not yet opened any RS28s, but their close sibling, the Usher 9950. The top plate of the Usher has a few pins that fit into holes in the VC assembly. There is no way to recenter the assembly without either grinding off those pins or making the holes bigger.

RS28A has visible and audible margins in the assembly

3) Unlike the Usher, the Dayton uses copper shielding on the outside of the gap in addition to the inside shielding. Maybe it is not the pole piece but one of the copper rings that is maladjusted?

That could be the case, but I doubt it will make things better

I have to agree with Mark, I've had 4 of these open and I see no way to recenter them. The little pegs were tight.

I've tested 8 so far. 2 were defective with rubbing voice coils, and the other 6 were ok down to 2kHz at least, though the results were merely average. The two that were defective were test samples straight off the pallet from Usher, and not subjected to PE's internal QC yet.

Darren mentioned he was personally doing QC on all the RS28's before they go on the shelves for sale. That was some time ago however, I don't know if he's still doing it.

The RS28 has all the right insides to make it a world class winner, but it's how those parts are put together that matters. I bet in time with a little more QC the product will really come around.

Well then I guess I was pretty lucky to have one that I got to play loud and clean down to 1200 Hz, even though my rubbing voice coil percentage is twice that of Zaph's.
I don't care for an average tweeter that goes down to 2kHz for $50. The Seas TDFC/TBFCG do much better there for half the price.
I want the 1200Hz, and somehow in some constellations the RS28 can make it there, probably due to a large, but secret xmax... Might be a business opportunity for PE to sell a preselected RS28 that goes down there. Then we would have a world champion product that I would be willing to pay substantially more for. I also hope they can factory remove the transparent plastic behind the grid: It causes deep nulls off axis, you can very easily hear that when you move your head in front of the tweeter playing a tone like 1400Hz or so. The distortion products are not nulled there and really stand out in the fundamental null. Remove the plastic and the nulls are gone!
I Hope they can make this thing a winner at PE....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.