going big for loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone I planning to make a 3way system using:
SEAS T29CF002
ATC SM75-150
2 x ETON 11-581/50
Anyone used these speakers in different configuration?
I'm puting the best electronics in the Xovers,I'm not cutting corners at all,the boxes will be made of 1 1/2"
birch plywoood 6cubic feet.
Like to have suggestions,I was told that the mid is the best sound period.true?And what about the rest?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Good choice with SM75-150!

Its one of the best midrange drivers you can get, depending on your taste it could well be the best.

I've actually used both the super and standard version of this driver and if you can live without the extra sensitivity they sound exactly the same. You'll save a bundle too.

I've posted some detailed thoughts on its performance paired alongside Scan's R2904-7000 and a few bass drivers. The speakers I built with these drivers are here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62391

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52876

You'll have to wade through some pages to find the comments on sound - sorry but I'm feeling lazy :)

One word of warning though! The ATC mid is a pain to mate with the bass driver or at least it was for me. Sure you can get something that sounds decent but to really get the best you definitely need a great bass driver and also one that matches well. I tried 4 x Seas L22's at first the 2 x Seas Excel W22's and finally only was really satisfied with ATC's own SB75-234 SC.

So be careful about matching drivers. Go with something that has a studio heritage and is paper/treated paper, using stiff cones for me just didn't do it and the Seas drivers are well respected at that. All the details of my discontentment with the Seas are in the above links.

Good luck!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
newfinish said:
do you think that VOlt could be a better choice for the 12"?

Volt make some excellent drivers.

Try the Radial series if your wanting a 12", the B2500.1 is probably the better choice though as it extends very cleanly upto around 800hz and since you'd be crossing to the ATC at around 380hz you definitely want an extended bass driver. The 12" Radial is great down low and upto around 500hz but after this I found it sounded closed in and somewhat rough sounding. Something definitely to consider if your cross in the 400hz region.

Personally I fully recommend ATC's own bass driver if your partnering an SM75-150. Its the only one I've been 100% happy with.

i have seen that you heard Wilmslow Loudspeaker prestige.but have you heard these www.williamshart.com/speaker
he says that he was the associate to wilmslow and now he left and build his own,strangely enough this guy took my first choice of speakers

:) but do you think that a XT18 vifa can rival atc in the mids?
I never heard neither could someone tell me the difference?
I love smooth yet detailed and stage,natural sound.

newfinish said:
i have seen that you heard Wilmslow Loudspeaker prestige.but have you heard these www.williamshart.com/speaker
he says that he was the associate to wilmslow and now he left and build his own,strangely enough this guy took my first choice of speakers

:) but do you think that a XT18 vifa can rival atc in the mids?
I never heard neither could someone tell me the difference?
I love smooth yet detailed and stage,natural sound.

this link works
http://www.williamshart.com/speaker.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.