The sound of OSB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Tyimo,

There is no best material to build a box from, but I would suggest that only test boxes be made from OSB. It's not a very sturdy board and tends to have a swelling problem at the cuts. Sealing is also difficult.

Besides I only see it in 7/16" or about 12mm thicknesses here. Too thin for most applications. If it's being used for diy, then it must be they can't afford or don't have access to better materials.

What are you planning to build?

Cal

I used and know the "sound" of particleboard(19mm), MDF(19mm), Plywood(18mm) and real wood (cherry 25mm).
I could imagine that the OSB's sound is something between Plywood and particleboard....
Basicaly, I don't like particleboard's acoustics...

Tyimo

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Ideally, speakers should be constructed with a material that either resonates above or below its passband. If this isn't practical, then greater rigidity (its MOE spec) requires less damping due to acoustic energy decreasing with increasing frequency. The OSB available near me would have to be ~2.44" thick to match 19mm Baltic Birch's MOE, so totally unsuitable for typical alignments unless it's a built-in IMO.

That said, a highly underdamped (resonant) alignment can benefit from using such a lossy material, so it may work fine if you can keep it airtight and don't create too many 'hot spots' such as occurs with a lot of bracing or horn folds. Frankly though, having tried this, I find them too 'dead' sounding unless designed with theoretically excessive gain, which isn't the case with every on-line published BLH design I've reverse engineered.

As always though, YMMV. ;)

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.