$4,000 Tweeter!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The manufacturing facility:
The facility of stereo equipment manufactures are small and low budget. Lamm Industry is simply Mr. Lamm's basement. Wilson speakers is nothing more than similar to a small size body shop. Look at how much they sell their equipment for.

The price:
There is NO economy of scale in high-end stereo equipment. Therefore each equipment must bare a large portion of the R&D time and cost.
Think of how much Porsche has to charge for the car that you mentioned if Porsche can only sell 1 car a year. It would be in the millions USD. When you move into even more mainstream products like a cell phone, the difference in price is even larger. If Apple can only sell 1 Iphone a year, then each iPhone is probably in the hundred millions range.

Yes, the bubble nozzle is the horn. The horn is threaded and screws onto the mounting plate.

Check out the pictures of the ALE 186PP driver's horn. I am pretty sure it is the same.

Attachments

• Ale 186 Horn.jpg
    Ale 186 Horn.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Ale 186PP Top.jpg
    Ale 186PP Top.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I called this company to get the cost of permendur: High Temp Metals 800-500-2141 - Permendur 2V Permendur 49 Hiperco 50A Technical Information

This company gave me the prices for solid bar.
I estimated the pole piece of the P1750 (1750DEP Japan model) driver is 100mm long x 100mm diameter. The price for 4 inch diameter bar is $928.05 USD per inch. Multiply that by 4.187 inch (the difference is due to cutting); the total is $3885.75 USD.

$3885.75 USD is just for the raw material to make the pole piece. The bottom base, top plate, and the ring are also permendur. The price of the P1750 is about $26,000 USD per pair.

ALE must be able to get this material at lower cost. Otherwise, I don't see how they are making profit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.