backing out of the DIY scene

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's become completely apparent that I need to back myself out of the DIY scene for a while. Life commitments have turned my weekend summer project into something that is going on a year and still not finished. My problem now is that I haven't looked at commercial speakers in quite some time, and I have no idea what to look for.

I'm looking for suggestions in the $500-1000 range to serve as mains in a mainly 2 channel but also HT setup. Used is definately okay, and as I live in a rather small town, demoing is probably out of the question.

Currently at the top of my list is a pair of Triangle Zerius floor standers. The seem to be reviewed well, but I'm afraid they will lack impact.

This post makes me a little sad as it's your pretty standard "what's the best for the least money" thread, but I'm really at a loss as to what to look for.

After reading this again, I realized the post is completely unacceptable. It doesn't say anything about what I'm looking for.

I listen to mostly contemporary music along the likes of Dave Matthews Ben Harper... along with a lot of classical listening.

I like a good bit of volume, and it is generally needed for HT use. Speakers will be powered by a Forte Class A 50W amp.

In general I like the sound of 3 ways I've found. Like I said in the first post, I like a speaker with impact.

I heard some Boston Acoustics and some Paradigm Reference speakers. Bostons have an average sound (they have impact for HT), but the Paradigms were impactful and accurate. The Paradigm Reference speakers were nice to listen to and revealing. I'm not sure what model I was listening to; as I was "listening" to integrated amplifiers instead, but it was a 3-way with two 6.5" woofers....ported.

Klipsch are also good too, but if you can't put up with the horn-sound you'll most likely choose to go eleswhere. At first any harshness wasn't obvious, but after ten minutes of critical listening the harshness reared its ugly eyes.

Anyway, good luck remembering how to buy commercial speakers. I went through the same thing and I could only conclude that, still, DIY is the way to go.

Assuming you still live in Corvallis, you will find that NW Audio Labs sells both Paradigm and Boston Acoustics. If you are not familar with NW Audio Labs, they are located across from Fred Meyer. I have no affiliation with them, other than good consumer experiences. They might demo some equipment -- not sure. If you are looking for used equipment and don't mind a drive, there is always echo audio in Portland. They list their inventory online at: www.echohifi.com

dunderchief said:
After reading this again, I realized the post is completely unacceptable. It doesn't say anything about what I'm looking for.

I listen to mostly contemporary music along the likes of Dave Matthews Ben Harper... along with a lot of classical listening.

I like a good bit of volume, and it is generally needed for HT use. Speakers will be powered by a Forte Class A 50W amp.

In general I like the sound of 3 ways I've found. Like I said in the first post, I like a speaker with impact.

Epos M22. :cool:

I'm going to suggest you go used in this situation...

the S100's aren't really all that great sounding... pretty lame actually IMO

Paradigm's speakers don't start sounding decent to about Signature 8's and they're $6000 MSRP

something like this

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?spkrfull&1130204809&auc&3&4&

is a MUCH better sounding speaker (I've heard the S100's, S110's, S8's, and every single ML speaker currently available besides the E2)

this also in another ML option

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARTIN-LOGAN-QU...ryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

these speakers are HUGELY room dependent though... I've heard them in great rooms then went to just a smaller normal room and they sounded terrible...

when I did that with others... like the monopole Wilson Puppy 7's... the sound barely changed...

dunderchief said:

I've been looking at B&W 604's. I think I'll go have a listen tomorrow.

You will be sorely disappointed... at least this my experience with BW's

magnepan's 20.1 is the only one I've heard... and I detested it... but it was powered by under 100w and in about half the size room you have so this could be the cause

I think 15x25 is pretty large... at least for most the dipoles you'd be fine I'm guessing

carlosfm said:

No, they have big impedance dips in the bass.
Usually under 3 ohms.

maybe I'm missing something

but any 2 ohm stable amp shouldn't have any problems at all them them...

the Mark Levinsons etc seemed to play them just fine... the were the large PRICEY mark Levinson mono amps....

also heard a pair of Halcro's on the BW 800's

neither had any problems with them... they just didn't sound very good... at least to me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.