Crossover order and phase question - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2002, 03:48 AM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Musings from a "relatively new" DIYER (at least in terms of speakers)

alvaius ,

what were the speakers you started with?

dave
Old 20th October 2002, 01:14 PM   #22
alvaius is offline alvaius  Canada
diyAudio Member

I started with Zetag Kinima G4. I have seen these advertised on the web through stores at $2000+ $U.S., and they list in the $2,500 range. www.zetagcorp.com I live near their "factory" and was able to pick them up for $650 $U.S. as they have been clearing out what they can I think due to cash issues. Their ex president (or maybe he is still with them, hard to tell) sells them every once in a while on Ebay, and I think he has an online store somewhere where he sells them for $1400 ish if I remember correctly. He also sells the drivers regularly through E-Bay, though from another poster on diyAudio, it seems like there are two versions of the woofer, and older one and a newer one.

You can pick up the woofers on E-Bay, either the 6.5" or 8" for less than $100 U.S. per pair. At that price, they are a good value. However, like just about any metal dome woofer, they have a mass-limited break up peak that must be dealt with. The Seas metal woofers exhibit a similar response. I was never able to get a response plot on the speakers, but all the design parameters of the woofers are easy to come by. Unfortunately, I have no specs on the tweeters, but they are easy to deal with. They exhibit almost no resonance peak (actually the woofers don't exhibit much of one either).

Alvaius
Old 20th October 2002, 01:24 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I forgot to post some helpful links:

http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm -- Has a whole range of tutorials and calculations for cross-overs, boxes, etc. Until recently, it was hosted on a tripod web-site.

This one is also pretty good for calculations, but the explanations are not as good... http://www.mhsoft.nl/spk_calc.asp
Old 21st October 2002, 05:08 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Hi alvaius,

Can you give me the cross-over schematic for your speakers. I'm the dude with the other pair of Zetag G4 speakers. I'm trying to take measurements using Speaker Workshop (which I've pretty much given up on) and Also I've taken measurements using Loudspeaker Lab 2. I figured out how to use it, but the measurements don't seem to be very accurate.
Old 21st October 2002, 05:10 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Is this the AudioAnalyser you use?

http://www.hampubs.com/audioana.htm
Old 21st October 2002, 10:19 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Brain hiccup...

I meant audiotester www.sumuller.de/audiotester

I would like to finally my cross-over before I post. I am doing some tweaking.

Alvaius
Old 21st October 2002, 10:24 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Jimmy,

I thought you just bought the drivers, not the actual G4s?

Alvaius
Old 22nd October 2002, 12:31 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Yes, I bought just the drivers and the cross-over parts. I almost definately have inferrior wiring and cabinet design and construction compared to the G4.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get replacement cones? I have four G4 8" drivers that have dented metal cones.

I figured out how to take measurements using Speaker workshop, but I don't get accurate results for some reason. I think I did see a 10 db peak at 3,500 Hz and at 2-3 KHz also for some reason only twice out of about 20 measurements. I used nearfield gated frequency measurements and a panasonic WM-60AY capsole.
Old 22nd October 2002, 01:04 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

For what you can buy those woofers online, I would expect it is cheaper to buy new ones than to recone, especially since your only source for the cones would be where you bought them. How big of dents are we talking? I doubt a few minor dents will make much sonic difference.

Alvaius
Old 22nd October 2002, 02:27 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I did really want to recone (as I understand that's a new surround, cone and voice coil). I just need a new cone; aluminum would be best, but anything 8" will due. I can put it in myself; atleast I think I think I can pull it off.

No the dents aren't bad and don't effect sound. I was going to use 2 zetag 24 10 00 woofers in one speaker and 2 - 24 07 00 in another. But I dropped one of the 24 10 00 speakers and damaged the fragile metal cone. So now I have to use 3 of the 24 07 00 and 1 - 24 10 00 that are undented. It will look kind of strange cause you'll be able to tell they aren't the same woofer if they're in the same enclosure right next to each other. Not like they're 4 meters apart in the other senario. I buy woofers not only based on quality and sound, but also based on their looks. So if I can't do anything with the dented cones they're going in the trash. But first I will take them apart and play with them.

Let me know when your cross-overs done. I think you said that the baffle step is 400 Hz before, but I think it's over 800 Hz. I just mentioned this cause you said in another post you were making a 2.5 way cross-over with the cross-over for the bottom woofer at 400 Hz and below.

Hide this!Advertise here!