Best way to measure line arrays?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of line arrays that utilize a single Fountek JP-2.0 ribbon tweeter and 10 5" Vifa mids. I've had them built for about a year now and have been using a DCX2496 as a crossover, tuning by ear. I just recently purchased a DEQ2496 and an ECM8000 mic. Now that I have some measurement equipment (nothing great) I was wondering the best method for measuring these speakers with what I have? They weigh over 100lb each and getting them outside to measure is not an option.

I was thinking, since these aren't ideal line arrays, that I should measure the response from my listening postion, which doesn't vary. I could measure each speaker individually, or measure them at the same time and input that information into my DCX2496. I'm not sure which is better. My method for measurement is using WinISD's signal generator on my computer, outputting that into the Behringer, measuring the SPL with the DEQ2496, and inputting the information into an Excel spreadsheet I made which then outputs the plot into a line graph. The spreadsheet covers 1/4 octave steps.

I know it's not the best, but it's all I have :D

Is there better software out there, for free, that I can use that can do measurement sweeps and get a visual output of the response?

Anywho, off to grab some more coffee. I almost fell asleep writing this, so sorry if it doesn't make any sense.

Thanks!

The DEQ has a 1/6 octave RTA which isn't bad. Line arrays can measure funky with small changes in the vertical mic position so you need to average the measurements over several mic positions. I'd set the DEQ's RTA to "average" and hold the mic near the listening position while moving it up and down, side to side, and front to back, centered on where your ears are. That should give you a good idea of what's going on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.