Help, Brass horn round shape - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2005, 08:13 PM   #1
hth2412 is offline hth2412  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hth2412
Default Help, Brass horn round shape

Hi guys,
I intend to die-casting the round shape horn from brass.
I found that most of horn made from hard-wood, firbeglass except the vintage metal horn from WE, Altec.
I wonder if die-cast brass Horn was bad idea or it was bad material to make horn ? In my home town, die cast brass at cheap prices so if this is good idea, please help me to make this dream come true

Thank you very much
HTH
Old 14th October 2005, 09:28 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi,

I would think that brass would have similar ringing qualities to it that the Altec aluminum does. (nicknamed the cowbell) Probably worse considering brass is used for bells.

I think you would have to heavily damp the outside of the horn in order to reduce that ringing.

Cal
Old 15th October 2005, 01:37 AM   #3
Rocky is offline Rocky  Norway
diyAudio Member

A year ago, I thought of getting horns made from brass too, but mainly due to obscene cost (I think the national defense guys with the metal workshop ate some drugs they weren't supposed to)... I chose not to, and went for some pretty massive ones milled from mahogany (similar to dr.Bruce's SBs), and I don't regret... There comes a time (often) in a horn setup where you'll have to experiment with placement, and I have often thought "what a relief I didn't get these made from brass, they'd been deformed by now".. due to moving back and forth, remember the drivers to be mounted are XXX heavy. Brass will probably deform by careless handling unless you'd made them really massive ofcourse...

Anywayz, I always wanted brass for asthetics, but when I got those closed-segment-mahogany-milled beauties, my only thought was "god, this was much cheaper and boy how beautiful nice wood is when done properly by a skilled woodworker" (i didn't mill them myself)... Go for wood... Easy to match the interior in your house too... I've already gotten myself a mahogany coffee table I will *always* love and keep mine, for both sound and astethics. And massive mahogany never rings. Period

EDIT: Typos.. I need to learn how to write.. But I guess that's why I chose to educate myself in engineering... so I wouldn't have to
Old 27th October 2005, 09:34 PM   #4
bluemax is offline bluemax  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello,
Brass would work as long as the walls are thick enough to curtail vibrations. You could use the same parameters as the old AL cast aluminum horns as a guide and you'd be well within safe margines, as the aluminum was lighter (and more rigid) than the brass you want to use.

I know brass is much prettier, but if you're going to cast some horns, you might consider casting in iron. Doing so would assure you'd have zero distortion or harmonics created by any vibrations within the horn itself.

Hope this helps,
~blue
Old 27th October 2005, 09:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
tweet horns of brass-

as shown in avitar

register to see actual pics

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...24&postcount=1
Old 28th October 2005, 01:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I suppose you could make horns from metal if they were constrained-layer damped.
Old 28th October 2005, 01:39 AM   #7
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

You're going to have to add some external bracing, as David Monette does to his trumpets:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th October 2005, 02:35 AM   #8
hth2412 is offline hth2412  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hth2412
Thank you all, for advise and comment.
I will try follow your advise and will let you guy know once I have good one.
Cheer.
hth
Old 28th October 2005, 03:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
I'd go for casting iron or steel and doing a brass plating perhaps. You get the look of brass, without all of the disadvantages. CLD might also work to add strength and eliminate ringing, but it might comprimise the look you're going for.

Hide this!Advertise here!