My first speaker builds - Thanks for the help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been lurking around diyAudio for nearly a year trying to absorb some information about speaker building. I finally worked up the nerve to stop reading and just start building! Here are the results. The first set was based on Zaphs tangbands and the second were kind of a combination of several thoughts/speakers..... If you regularly post on this site, thanks again, lots of good info for us "newbs".

http://www.geocities.com/stuartdj_x/Speaker3.html

Nice work!

Nice work. those curved cabinettes lookes great!
I,m buiding about the same thing, but i use the Hi Vi 3" design from Zaph.

Also curved shaped like your.. slightly bigger and they are proberly going to be veneered with Jacaranda.

I only have 2 pictures so far, and my skills in Photo are not very good.. but here they are. :) :D

I used antoher approch to getting it curved.. as you can see from the images..

Attachments

• small14.jpg
    small14.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 640
stuartdj_x said:
I've been lurking around diyAudio for nearly a year trying to absorb some information about speaker building. I finally worked up the nerve to stop reading and just start building! Here are the results. The first set was based on Zaphs tangbands and the second were kind of a combination of several thoughts/speakers..... If you regularly post on this site, thanks again, lots of good info for us "newbs".

http://www.geocities.com/stuartdj_x/Speaker3.html

LOOKS GREAT ! ;)

I love those TB w3-871s units, I made myself a 5.0 HT set .
(see somewhere else on this great forum)

But can You tell me how You greated the filter for Your mains ?
I like to try also with two TB's in one cabinet.

"Nice work! Please let me in on the secret of how to determine the internal volume of a curved box. I want to do some ProAc 2.5 clones with a curved box."

No secrets really. I used Microsoft Excel to determine the x,y coordinates for 1/2 the cross-section (looking down on the speaker) and then used the trapazoidal rule to estimate the area under the curve. I would also venture to guess that some of the free CAD software out on the net might also do this except easier?...maybe Turbo-Cad? I'm not sure though....

But can You tell me how You greated the filter for Your mains ?

Jens was on top of it. I found the same filter info he posted on this forum and I chose to use the CSS version

That's fantastic work Stuart ! What method did you use to attach the veneer?

Thank you again for the kind words! I used contact cement and a whole lotta patience....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.