Hardwood Cones As Speaker/Subwoofer Feet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I did a brief search here and on the web but didn't find anything; I'm also doing a similar post in Subwoofers. I would like to find some round hardwood cones to use as feet for a couple of subwoofers I'm building. I'm thinking dimensions of maybe 2.5 - 3" at the base, with similar or slightly longer height.

This is primarily a cosmetic exercise - I'm building one for a friend for Christmas, and decor is a consideration; the wood will go nicely with both the room and the sub cabinet.

Has anybody here ever done this sort of thing and, more importantly, do you know of a source of ready-made ones? I don't happen to have a lathe to make my own, and don't plan on getting one any time soon.:D I'm going to visit my local hardwood lumber emporium this weekend, but in the meantime I thought I'd check here.

Thanks for any help!

Grahamt said:
I dont know about any wood cones, but you can order spikes here: http://www.solen.ca/scre.htm that thread into t-nuts on the bottom of the sub or speakers.

Yes I'm aware of metal spikes & have some, but as I said this is a cosmetic/decor endeavor rather than a functional one, and I think wooden cones would look awesome.

They may end up having some similar benefit to metal spikes, but it's not my priority; there would be a very small "footprint" with wood "spikes" but a softer contact with wood & stone floors, so no need for any plates underneath them....

Anybody else? Wood cones?

noodle_snacks said:
I am not sure that pointy wood cones would have much strength at all at their tips, some sort of cut off cone would work better

Yes I agree - they could be rounded over or tipped with metal. I'm actually using the feet from my old BSR sub cabinet - round tapered wood with metal caps on the ends - they have the built-in screws so you just drill the appropriate size hole and away you go.

I did find some interesting possibilities here:

http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=1461

and here:

http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=1462

I'm going to Home Depot this weekend as they carry lots of accessories in their lumber dept - fence post tops, etc. This could be an interesting venture - lots of decorative possibilities here.

The section at Home Depot with all the mouldings and wood finishing cuuld have something. Or why not just go to some place that does wood working and ask them to spin you some on their lathe..... if you're gonna be paying for it why not make it worth while and get some exotic wood dowels.

sardonx said:
The section at Home Depot with all the mouldings and wood finishing cuuld have something. Or why not just go to some place that does wood working and ask them to spin you some on their lathe..... if you're gonna be paying for it why not make it worth while and get some exotic wood dowels.

Thanks - this is worth considering - I was thinking a multiple laminated layered design would look great too, spun into a cone shape.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
noodle_snacks said:
I am not sure that pointy wood cones would have much strength at all at their tips, some sort of cut off cone would work better

He could get someone to turn some mulga (if they have tungsten carbide tools ;) )

it is so hard it will chip an axe without a problem, I don't think it would have a strength problem!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Tony.

Feet height and feet material

Hi.I built a 12 inch downfiring subwoofer.My wife (she only cares about visuality not sound as most of ours :) selected legs from this web site :

Tepaks Tarlasan Plastik Sanayi, Mobilya, Aksesuar, Süsleri, Koltuk, Kanepe, Ayaklar?

They are plastic feet.And We will use sub on wood.I also do not want to disturb neighbours.Maybe i will use a base plate too
Is height of feet important ? Is there anycalculations of feet height ? 20cm feet too high or not?
My subwoofer has diameter of 52x43 cm and 50cm height.We should decide it soon and assembly it.So i am pleased for a fast reply
Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.