Leak 600 repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been asked to repair a Leak Sandwich 600 loudspeaker.

This is a sealed unit, about three or four cub ft.,with a bass unit, 12" cone of polystyrene, with aluminium stressed skin, a 3" midrange of similar construction, and plastic dome tweeter. Appropriate rather complex crossover.

It was one of the better sounding "large bookshelf" units from the late '60's I think.

The problem was one blown midrange- the voice coil having what looks like a corrosion break in the centre turns.

Actually this unit is nicely designed with an aluminium basket that simply baynots onto the magnet assembly. The basket carries both spider and cone surround. both solidly glued on. This makes it difficult to rewind the voice coil.

A further issue is the cone surround, which is what appears to be loose cambric, flat, not shaped in any way, treated with a black rubberised compound. The cone, (not in the magnet assembly)when pushed moves freely in one direction, but not the other. That is, the cone seems to be sitting off the suspension centre.

So does anyone have information on these, and where can I source a replacement or substitution?

Thanks for your help.

Hi there,

How did you end up with the Leak 600 repair?

I have just bought a pair of these and working out what needs fixing, but I am very much a novice on thing such as this.

So far it looks like the following problems:

1. tweeter is not working in one box (blown?)

2. one bass unit has got corroded metal surround (white powder)

3. both bass units exhibit bubbling of the cone outside layer.

4. both bass units have black surround starting to come loose from the metal surround in some places

5. One bass unit gives a slight buzzing sound (coil rubbing?)

Any advice you can offer would be most appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.