Need crossover advice/ideas - Dayton planar and ref mid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First, the speakers:

DAYTON PT2B-8 PLANAR TWEETER
DAYTON RS150S-8 6" REFERENCE SERIES SHIELDED WOOFER

This is my first speaker project (besides subwoofers), so I'm trying to keep things simple. The plan is to use one tweeter and one woofer per side, and a 2nd order crossover at 3000hz.

Some questions:

I understand I will see a 3db bump in response at the crossover frequency because both drivers will be down by 3db. I would rather have a dip in response than a peak. Is there any reason why I couldn't cross the mid at 2200hz, and the tweeter at 3000hz, so they meet at 2600hz where they are both around -6db?

When attenuating the tweeter, will a series resistor be enough? I don't think I need an lpad because the planar tweeter is a resistive load.

Last question, besides using a higher order filter, is there anything I can do about the nasty peaks the Dayton mid has at 6khz and above?

Thanks for any advice. Please keep in mind I'm not going for perfection, just something that sounds good. I will leave the crossover outside the speaker so I can tweak things.

Dan

I'm trying to build some 2-ways and asked George at North Creek Music about using his D25 06 tweeters with some Monitor Audio Gold 6.5 woofers and he stated "We usually specify a 2nd order network at around 1800 Hz because with our tweeters this is the best sounding way. 6" woofers usually begin to sound a bit rough above 2kHz."
So you might want to re-thing your 3k crossovers.

Hi Dan,

some answers:

- Usually, drivers are crossed over at their -6 dB points, but make sure that their relative phases are right, so that the sum of the SPL curves yields a linear total response. The best way would be to use SPL and phase data measured in the cabinet and to do a simulation. A crossover point of 2.6 kHz makes sense, taking into account the response curves and the distortion.

- A series resistor will work fine.

- You might try a relatively broadband notch filter centered at 9 kHz to suppress the resonances.

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.