project brewing in my head, challenging, but seem like a good way to try new concepts - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2005, 10:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default project brewing in my head, challenging, but seem like a good way to try new concepts

hey all, heres where i stand. i just got this idea while enameling my current worklog towers (pics by tomorrow night) and this is what i'm thinking. what i want to do is make a three-way design. i want two mids and a ribbon. the low end will come from a single 10" subwoofer side firing at the base of the speaker. now here's the problem. would I need to use an active xover with this? the reason why i ask is because it seems that i would need to power hhe subwoofer SEPARATE from the actual components. this way, when the current is introduced into the circuit, the mids and tweet get the power that they are allotted to, whereas if I were to just run a passive and have the power run to the sub as well, it wouldn't be as productive. so here's what i'm asking. how would I go about either doing a active/passive xover, or..building a powered subwoofer inside of the cabinet. that last part makes it sound simple, but there will be no visible amps, as the cones will be grilled. i need any helpful suggestions, and deletion of irrelevant posts is appreciated.

dave

ps: this was copied and pasted from caraudio.com, so some of the information isn't relevant (worklog towers)
Old 3rd October 2005, 11:46 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I would see if you could make a 2.5 way and find a way to hide the plate amp.

Cal
Old 3rd October 2005, 11:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

could you explain what a 2.5 way is? thanks
Old 4th October 2005, 12:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

plz?
Old 4th October 2005, 12:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

3 drivers, 2 of which reproduce the same signal.
Old 4th October 2005, 01:11 AM   #6
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

A plate amplifier on the back won't be visible much, that would be the easy way out to power the subwoofer.
Old 4th October 2005, 01:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

hmm, how would i wire it into the cabinet then? what i mean is, would i have a sub out going to it? but that doesn't make sense because even though it provides nice bass, i'd still use my titantic 15" to fill in. i'm at a loss for what to do
Old 4th October 2005, 01:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Seems to me like it would get the regular signal that the rest of the cabinet does but the plate amp would simply be inline with the rest of the 2way, only amplifying its own range. Then the sub out would be for the 15" titanic.

So basically sending the signals to each cabinets, then having the xover do its work then outputting another signal either before or after the passive to the 10"s.

I may be wrong though, someone correct me if thats the case.
Old 4th October 2005, 02:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

GOSH i feel like such an idiot, but could u possibly explain that in more detail please? i'm slow when it comes to new concepts
Old 4th October 2005, 05:29 AM   #10
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, if you have an amplifier with a line out, it's easy.

The line out would be plugged on the plate amplifier.
Then you plug one channel to the 2 way.
Anyway most plate amplifiers got a high level impiut so even without a line out, it's easy,

So you would have to cut a hole for the plate amplifier and a small hole for a binding post above it to go to the 2 way crossover. Each part will do its thing independently.

Hide this!Advertise here!