MTM with Dayton RS 7" and Seas TBFC/G: will it work? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2005, 01:52 PM   #11
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have been reading and asking questions on that "other" forum for some time. I don't pretend to speak on Jon or Thomas's behalf, but I thought I'd point a couple of minor things out.

With the Modula MTM, actually the first tweeter used was a SEAS, the one marked Mar 05. (At least in this version. ) Jon then decided to help release a variation of his design for the Dayton RS28a. This is the one I built. However, the RS28a is a ~$50 tweeter while the H1212 is a $30 tweeter. Also some variation in production RS28a's have motivated some consideration for the H1212 to be adopted. I think the RS28a might have been the better tweeter if QC was a little better.

I think Jon's approach can be summed up as using very high quality (& preferrably lower cost) drivers within their best operating range. Then he goes balls to the wall on the xo to get the very best out of them. Having recently built the Modula MTM and having a lot of exposure to many expensive hi-end speakers, I am a believer in Jon's approach.

These aren't yo mama's MTMs! :lol:
Old 7th October 2005, 02:55 AM   #12
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JoshK With the Modula MTM, actually the first tweeter used was a SEAS, the one marked Mar 05. (At least in this version. ) Jon then decided to help release a variation of his design for the Dayton RS28a. This is the one I built. However, the RS28a is a ~$50 tweeter while the H1212 is a $30 tweeter. Also some variation in production RS28a's have motivated some consideration for the H1212 to be adopted. I think the RS28a might have been the better tweeter if QC was a little better.
As my thread title says, I started out thinking of this approach with the Seas in mind. (Isn't the TBFC/G the same as the H1212?) I don't know why I should spend the $20 more for the RS tweeter... I'm not sure I can hear the differences more experienced listeners can.

Quote:
I think Jon's approach can be summed up as using very high quality (& preferrably lower cost) drivers within their best operating range. Then he goes balls to the wall on the xo to get the very best out of them.
Yes, I can see that. He doesn't appear interested in using Audio Technology midranges or Skaaning woofers.

I saw his passive xo and decided I can do a reasonable facsimile (famous newbie comment) using active xo and chipamps at lower cost. Unlike Jon, I can't hear the sound of all those opamps in the path, and chipamps made using non-audiophile components are very inexpensive. Adding complexity to the xo in the active world doesn't add much to the cost, so I'll do that LR4 + notch approach I was talking about. Each channel should require two 2134 chips for the lowpass: one chip for the LR4 and one for the notch. I'll first pick up Jon's SPL curve from his thread, put it into some xo design software and model the resulting curve to see how low the 1800-12,000H region goes. That'll give me and others some idea of where one can head with this approach. What do you think?

Hide this!Advertise here!