Let the games begin! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2005, 10:03 PM   #1
xyrium is offline xyrium  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Let the games begin!

So I'm doing my first build. It's Krutke's L15/27TFFC project but I'm using the TDFC. Doing worry Zaph, I won't ask why my speakers don't sound good since I deviated from the recipe!

A big thanks to John for posting his work though. I am truly looking forward to the result. Oh, I am also going with the drivesr directly in line with each other, center to center, instead of mounting the tweeter to the inside. If it doesn't sound good, new cabinets....
Attached Images
File Type: png parts1.png (98.7 KB, 332 views)
Old 30th September 2005, 01:21 AM   #2
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Heheh, I've had people use my crossover designs with complete different speakers and then ask me why "my design" doesn't sound good. Of course, you can probably get an idea of the emails I get by reading my email faq.

The 27TFFC and TDFC are practically twins though. no worries swapping those out. Centering the tweeter will put the flattest frequency response about 15 degrees off axis. On axis will have a slightly bigger dip at 3kHz, and a slightly bigger peak at 4.5kHz. It's your typical diffraction ripple response. With the TDFC's small rise in the top end response, 15 degrees off axis smooths it out just right. That design should work out well, just consider it optimized for off axis response and don't toe the speakers in. Straght ahead should work great.

We want pictures when you're done.
Old 30th September 2005, 02:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks John.

I can imagine the inquiries you get. Well, maybe not even. Yes, your FAQ was quite "informative".

I am going to use the PE .38cu ft cabinets, so they probably won't look much different, but I will certainly be posting pics as I make progress. I really like the small driver design, though I don't know why I find them so intriguing.

I kept them within the spec of the center to center distance of 13560 / crossover frequency though. I have about 5.75 inches between them. Just slightly different than you did I believe. I'm considering using some speaker gasket between the baffle and cabinet to test them before gluing, but I'm afraid the lack of coupling will lead to false results. Who knows, that's the fun of it I'm hoping!

Tomorrow, we route the baffles, though I forgot to order the darn ports! Grrr...

Rgds,
Paul
Old 30th September 2005, 02:51 AM   #4
sqlkev is offline sqlkev  United States
diyAudio Member

home depot ports

gluck with the project,
some day i'll give in and start a zaph project.

already have a pair of 27tffc here
Old 30th September 2005, 12:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I was thiking of going with straight 2" dia. PVC and doing a roundover on the cabinet. I just don't like the exposed MDF that it would create. I still have to figure out what combination of padding/damping/absorbing/diffusing I'm going use anyway. I really have to sit down and make a determination on that tongiht. Otherwise I know me, and every project I start takes 10 ten times longer than it should...
Old 30th September 2005, 01:24 PM   #6
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by xyrium
I really have to sit down and make a determination on that tongiht. Otherwise I know me, and every project I start takes 10 ten times longer than it should...
<chuckles>

Hmmmmm I would never be guilty of that..... no really......

I joined here a bit over two years ago, and my project is now about half finished (and most of that was done recently over a 3 week period).... I've had the drivers for almost 12 months..... hmmmm.

Tony.
Old 30th September 2005, 04:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

So maybe we can blame all of the time we spend posting to Diyaudio.com that causes the delay in production? Have a great weekend!

Hide this!Advertise here!