unbranded speakers - Alnico Magnet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I hope that what I am doing is allowed. I found a guy who is offering 4 unbranded 8 inch speakers. Does someone know this speakers? Is that a alnico magnet?

Many thanks

Erik

Attachments

• woofer.jpg
    woofer.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 374
Judging the surround and magnet structure I keep thinking Goodmans like planet10 says....

But I remember something about the voice coil wires being set on either side of the dustcap, instead of right beside each other. A friend had a pair of units with these and he said it was a French company that did that exclusively on their drivers. I have no idea of the name though.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Duo said:
nstead of right beside each other. A friend had a pair of units with these and he said it was a French company that did that exclusively on their drivers.

I see that fairly often... Philips was a big one for bringing wires out on both sides.

At any rate these are beauties (as far as the pics go). More could be known if they could be measured... the drivers & FuzzMeasure for about half an hour.

dave

PS: Duo -- you getting down to the south tip of the island any time soon?

Thanks for the replies and sorry I didn't reply myself before - I had a very long weekend - ans now it is almost weekend again :)

There is no marking on the speakers and I can't take measurements (I have been more occupied with DAC's and amps lately) but as they looked nice I thought giving them a shot (I could buy 4) in a H frame - and if it didn't sound right, there are enough other 8" speakers that would perform well in the same frame. But now the guy who owns the woofers just sent me this picture - it happened when by accident something with a bit of glue felt on the speaker. Now there are three 'good' ones left, and I think I will skip the whole idea... Or do you guys have an idea how I could easily repair this speaker...

Have a nice weekend

Erik

Attachments

• woofer10.jpg
    woofer10.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 177
I will skip it...

If you was going to use them for a bass application in a h-frame, i'd skip them too.

What you really need for open baffle bass is lots of surface area/or long throw linear drivers(i'd still reccomend at least 2 x 12" drivers a side for this application).

If you want something on the cheap, that will work well, why not try the Eminence Delta15LF's, cheap as chips and should work fantastically in a h-frame.

I have a pair of Ortofon speakers equipped with ScanSpeak drivers that look like those. Wires coming out on either side, alnico magnets and that sticky surround. Broken surrounds of course. They got stuck to the grill cloth. :bawling:. But i bought them for something like 7$ so I'm not sad. :) The mids were fine and the boxes really nice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.