resonant frequency of water (distilled) and how to make speaker play underwater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
grataku said:
Liquified oxygen and hydrogen mixture and reactive surface: that's going to be beautiful. Let me know I'll get the camera ready. :cool: (tha't's me wearing welding goggles while waiting)

I guess you didn't understand quickshifts question.

hahah the mixtures would be seperated
or at least I think so..... but I don't even think sound is good solution anyway

Audiophilenoob said:

hahah the mixtures would be seperated
or at least I think so..... but I don't even think sound is good solution anyway

LOL,

Thousands of scientists working on the problem for atleast 20 years and you thought the answer was DIYAUDIO.com and a big speaker amplifier??

I highly recommend you look over at http://www.amasci.com/tesla/tesla.html look over some of his experiments and then try the "Nikola Tesla forum" link for some pretty good reading...

--Chris

DIY_newbie said:

LOL,

Thousands of scientists working on the problem for at least 20 years and you thought the answer was DIYAUDIO.com and a big speaker amplifier??

I was going to try meyer's idea... not end world hunger :rolleyes:

I have access to all the tools needed to make any alloy for free BTW.... just so you know (well over the material costs I suppose to buy the compounds)

scientists are going at it wrong IMO... so I want to try something different... ti's called doing something for fun.... not trying to make a water powered car.... just a small fuel cell idea

laughably this afternoon I came up with LiAlH4 ... then found out a guy figured it out 2 yrs ago... BLAST!!! and some japanese guy is using my idea (ok he had it first but I still thought of it earlier before i read it) of using boron compounds in fuel cells

BLAST...

at least it seems like I'm on the right track... just a couple years behind HAHA... but pat on my back for thinking of them on my own... even though in the end I was years late :p

SY said:
But lithium aluminum hydride is not very inexpensive.

true .... usage as a fuel cell isn't what I'm interested in though...

lithium aluminum hydride can be re "hydrated" after expending the hydrogen... but it has a low H content compared to what should be used

I'm more interested in a chemical reaction that releases hydrogen from both water and the alloy itself but can be on the cheap if mass produced and the inert alloy can then be re "hydrated"

a Company called Zenn has made an alloy that releases 30L of hydrogen per minute in salt water for 60hrs before going inert

I'm intrested in something like this... they claim it costs 1/2 a cent per gram if mass produced...

I've come up with a crazy alloy that looks like it will yield two inert compounds when explosed to water... problem is the reaction does not sustain itself and needs a catalyst... but produces around 15% hydrogen by weight from the water and alloy combined

it's interesting but I think the catalyst would combust the hydrogen being expelled.... bah I've only been working 7 days on this..... I'll give myself some more time before I give up

sodium

As a lab project, sure. And you can get some more heat out of it when you neutralize the sodium hydroxide. As a commercial power source, it's impractical because of the energy it takes to make sodium metal. Even more energetic is sodium/potassium alloy ("nak"), which looks and flows just like mercury at room temp.

:att'n: Sodium and potassium are very tricky to handle and can/do react explosively with water and water vapor. They should only be handled by experienced chemists.

DIY_newbie said:
How about pure sodium and water :

2 Na + 2 H2O > 2 NaOH + H2

This is a heavily exothermic reaction so you have to find some way to keep the hydrogen from igniting.. Maybe you could use the heat generated as a power source along with teh hydrogen?

--Chris

it's possible... problem is that sodium expells the gas too quickly and is quite expensive in pure forms.... the idea is to not have much hydrogen storage but when you play the mineral it either lasts a long time for a certain hydrogen yield....

I think you could simply introduce the sodium underwater with no air above it.... I've never see it done and you would have to secure the sodium from rising to the top of the water... I would imagine this would get very hot but probably not ignite the air bubbles of hydrogen

a more complicated double displacement of both the mineral AND water is what I'm interested in... the yields would be higher this way

Re: sodium

SY said:
As a lab project, sure. And you can get some more heat out of it when you neutralize the sodium hydroxide. As a commercial power source, it's impractical because of the energy it takes to make sodium metal. Even more energetic is sodium/potassium alloy ("nak"), which looks and flows just like mercury at room temp.

:att'n: Sodium and potassium are very tricky to handle and can/do react explosively with water and water vapor. They should only be handled by experienced chemists.

true I'm more looking into maybe something like a HCL acid and a hydride that when combined does double displacement

HCL is very very easy, cheap to get in any quantity, can be produced from very simple things... Heck unless I'm mistaken I believe millions of tons of the acid are produced annually already in the US

an Acid would likely not need catalyst... if the right metal is found that would displace the hydrogen from the compound....

dang this topic got Way off the sound topic... sry everyone

SY said:
But lithium aluminum hydride is not very inexpensive.

As I remember from my grad school days, I was initially an organic chem major and I had my fun with Na metal Lithium metal and mini explosions in the lab sink, LAH comes as a solution in organic solvent that needed to be transfered under N2 or Ar to avoid moisture with special equipment.
The stuff was highly reactive it needs to be stored at low temp and the reaction was usually done in dry ice at -78 C to avoid explosions or sideproducts. See SY, I still remember.

I think this thread was fun until it lasted but now some of the experiments here are starting to sound outright dangerous. More so than playing with high voltage PS and tubes.
:( :att'n:

grat, good memory!

You haven't lived until you've worked with alkylaluminum compounds. We used to impress the newbie grad students and sensitize them to the dangers by sucking up some triethylaluminum into a syringe under argon, then squirting it out into the lab air. It was a very impressive flamethrower. You'd see the grad students REALLY doublechecking the argon flow after that.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
This is getting way too serious so I'll interject with my take on things:

I strongly believe the resonant frequency of water is somewhere around the same as a fart since I've heard folks mention a strange noise whilst at the other end of an olympic size swimming pool. Definitely some peaking of the frequencies around that range. I think Whales would agree to.

Ah the joys of taking ones self seriously, I apply the same level headed thinking when building speakers too.

grataku said:

As I remember from my grad school days, I was initially an organic chem major and I had my fun with Na metal Lithium metal and mini explosions in the lab sink, LAH comes as a solution in organic solvent that needed to be transfered under N2 or Ar to avoid moisture with special equipment.

I knew this actually but thanks for the reminder...

it is dangerous.... you're creating a fuel source... it's incredibly dangerous

the production will take place in a vacuum (minus the hydrogen produced) and the temps will be below -50C... and this is ALWAYS where the reaction will take place

I infact have a great idea using LiH/CaH2... and double displacement

it's incredibly productive as well... yielding around 20% hydrogen given off by weight... and it's a great deal lighter than gasoline....

CaH2 and LiH are both incredibly cheap products when done in quantity.... with CaH2 being cheapest around 5 cents per gram if you buy several Kg..... mass production is far easier and would make this faaaaar cheaper

another positive the byproduct after hydrogen production is recyclable to the orginal state with little work applied

it's also very cheap for me to test... less than $20 for enough to produce around 1 lb of hydrogen gas!!!!!

I will be safe don't worry... this will be in a chemistry lab supervised by a professor....

wish me luck... I hope for give off of 1L of hydrogen/sec..... :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.