speaker selector switch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2005, 02:33 AM   #1
blbarth is offline blbarth  United States
diyAudio Member

Default speaker selector switch

Sorry if this is the wrong section...

I know this is easy for most of you, but I'm a beginner. I'm trying to find some kind of schematic for a 4-way speaker selector switch so that I can incorporate it into an automation project using a computer. I cannot find anything even after an extensive internet search and a search of this forum.

Can anyone help, or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!
Old 28th September 2005, 04:12 AM   #2
DC Dave is offline DC Dave  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't have a schematic for you, but what you want to do does not sound too hard. I don't know about connecting it to the computer though.

One way to do it would be to use relays to select the speakers. If you want to 4-way selector that would mean switching 8 speakers two at a time, right? So you could use 8 double pole latching relays and use the PC to select which ones to latch and release. To select pair 1 the PC would send a signal (5 or 12 volts) to latch the two relays for pair 1 and at the same time send a signal to release or unlatch the relays for pairs 2, 3, and 4. Just need to make sure the relays can handle the current going through them from the amplifier.

This does not take into account speaker impedences, so only one pair can be driven without increasing the load to the amplifier.
Old 29th September 2005, 01:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I had in mind for the control section.

The problem is I want to be able to use from 1 to all 4 of the speakers at any one time. The switch I am currently using (just a standard radio shack variety) will allow me to do that. My (cheap) amplifier doesn't seem to mind, so I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that it is doing the impedance matching already. That is the part of the circuit I'm not sure how to build and cannot find anywhere.
Old 12th January 2006, 09:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Still searching the net for any help on this. Anyone have suggestions on how to build an impedance matching speaker selector switch (plan to control it with a pic microcontroller and relays).
Old 22nd January 2006, 01:07 AM   #5
MCPete is offline MCPete  United States
diyAudio Member

What is the part number of the switch from Radio Shack (assuming that it is currently being sold)? If this selector switch allows you to operate 4 pairs of speakers simultaneously, my guess would be that either the selector is inserting resistance in series with the speakers (not likely) or making a parallel connection of two series-connected speakers in each channel.

Are the speakers that you are using raw drivers or speaker systems including passive crossover networks?

Hide this!Advertise here!