Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2005, 07:57 PM   #1
rnp614 is offline rnp614  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rnp614
Default New to DIY Speakers...what can you tell me about Exodus Audio kits?

Specifically the Exodus Audio 61 2-way kit.

I dont really know much about the DIY world, and I was just wondering how well received this kit is. From some of the searches I've done people are saying the Mids on the Extremis seem a bit weak but I havent been able to find anyone's thoughts on this exact kit.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Raj
Old 28th September 2005, 10:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've heard quite the opposite, from others and from my speakers.
Old 28th September 2005, 10:17 PM   #3
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've heard an extremis based 2 way (GrahamT and Jon Marsh's ExtremeMT - see htguide.com diy forum for info) and I thought the midrange was very good. Keep in mind that when dealing with drivers of this quality, comparisons are often made to class-leading references - so while the midrange may not stand up to that of say, a seas excel magnesium driver, it turns out that very little does, at any cost. It's all relative.
Old 28th September 2005, 11:19 PM   #4
Grahamt is offline Grahamt  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey Jakub, how's it going?

Hi Raj,

I've seen you over at Polk. I'm gatemplin.

I have not heard the Exodus kits, but I do have some opinions.

I would agree with Morbo, compared to a Seas Excel midrange the Extremis may be lacking but it is a midwoofer not a midrange anyway. You will find far more complaints about high end drivers than cheap ones.

Compared to drivers used in most commercial speakers, the Extremis is in another league.
Old 29th September 2005, 06:44 AM   #5
rnp614 is offline rnp614  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rnp614
Quote:
Originally posted by Grahamt
Hey Jakub, how's it going?

Hi Raj,

I've seen you over at Polk. I'm gatemplin.

I have not heard the Exodus kits, but I do have some opinions.

I would agree with Morbo, compared to a Seas Excel midrange the Extremis may be lacking but it is a midwoofer not a midrange anyway. You will find far more complaints about high end drivers than cheap ones.

Compared to drivers used in most commercial speakers, the Extremis is in another league.

Good to see ya gatemplin! Yeah I guess the standards are just completely different. My curiosity is going to get the best of me really soon...it'll be sad to see these Aperions go.
Old 29th September 2005, 06:42 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I for one am not impressed with the mids from the Extremis. I believe it needs to be in a 3 way system, like the one that Timn8ter brought to Daves place in August.

Tim, any pics?

Cal
Old 29th September 2005, 07:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yep, on my web site.
http://www.timn8er.com/alegria_audio_ruby.htm
Old 29th September 2005, 07:47 PM   #8
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Not too bad Graham, how about you? If you're ever coming through my parts, let me know, maybe stop by for a quick beer and a listen to some new stuff I've been working on.
Old 29th September 2005, 07:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
Yep, on my web site.
http://www.timn8er.com/alegria_audio_ruby.htm
That's a beautiful speaker Tim. I'm drawn to designs where wide-range mids are allowed to run way up high, something about reducing in-room treble energy until the tweeter kicks in, I think, is more pleasing to my ears. If you don't mind my asking, is that what you've done with the Ruby? I see you refer to the Fostex as a supertweeter, it makes me think you're crossing over nice and high.

Also have you thought about whether the Ruby is going to become available as part of the Alegria Audio line? I've been eyeing the Exodus 2641, and if you're going to put the Ruby on the market I'll have more to think about.
Old 29th September 2005, 10:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
The "Ruby" model that you see there is in my old Kit 281 cabinet which is nice but for a commercial offering it's a bit too tall. There will be something coming out commercially called Ruby but in a slightly different cabinet.
The Extremis woofers roll off around 250Hz with a 2nd order XO and the WR125S runs all the way up to about 12K where it crosses to the FT207D with a 1st order XO. Having the WR125S in a sealed box gives me natural LF roll-off and it's natural HF roll off allows me to use a very simple XO.

Hide this!Advertise here!