Thor stories

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some feedback on my completed Thor's.
I 1st connected them to my "Claus Byrith Mullard 4-30" valve amps, which are my primary "music listening system", driven by Rotel RCD-02. Well.... some things are just not ment to be :(
This marriage did not last long. It was like the speaker was covered with a thick woolen blanket - plain awful.

So I switched them over to my HT system (Denon AVR-1804 + DVD-2200) with not much hope or any high expectations. This junction delivered a much better result, but still not quit what I hoped for when I started the project. Since these drivers are still very fresh, I believe some "burning in" will improve the situation. There are some signs of the familiar TL bass and the Milleniums do show some good characteristics, but I pray that time will reveal a much better picture.

So, here are some nice pictures at least ;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,458
The boxes were made by Shaun (a friend of mine, also a member here) - so all compliments to him.

What I do not like about the sound is what I do not hear. On my other speakers (self designed Scanspeak 21W-8552 + D2905-93000) I had much better clarity, detail, good imaging and a nice response over the whole soundstage. [Describing sound is not my strongest ability ;) ]
With the Thor/Valve combination, they sounded dull and colorless, get the picture ? Together with the Denon, it was betterbut still not as good as other speakers.

I used the origenal x-over with Mills, Hovland, Solen and Goertz components, Acustuff measured to exact quantities as specified. Terminals are from Madisound, not sure what brand (see pic)
Internal + external cables are Nordost Flatline Gold MKII.
Got the spikes, must just fit them ;)

Attachments

• terminals.jpg
    terminals.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,058
They look beautiful!

But the sound? Hmmmm. I think you should double check the x-over to make sure you got it correct.

The Mag drivers may sound different to you than other types such as paper or poly, but they should not sound bad or veiled.

After x-over check, I would try different stuffling levels in the cabinet.

Beautiful cabinets. if I could build like that, I'd be a happy man.

Drop the stuffing density to 0.3 lbs per cubic foot. That's the max ANY properly designed TL should have or require. Remember, it's only there to damp the higher harmonics, nothing else. More than 0.3 lbs is just looking for trouble. Odd that you should find it lacking in clarity; I suspect the stuffing could be a major cause of that. I've just modelled Thor in Martin King's MathCad worksheets, and it's got a significatly rising response curve over 100hz, which would tend to emphasise the other extreme. Give the drivers a while to warm up too before listening, like any metal cone. Hope things improve soon
Best
Scott

Sound update

Here is an update on the Thor's.
They have been playing now for about 70 odd hr's and definately changed quite alot. The 1ste change I noticed was after about 60hr's. The muffled bass became open and solid. I am not sure if this was because of the "burn in" time or because of the spikes I fitted in that period, but the sound is very natural now. During the last 5 hr's , the highs and mids also became very clear and transparent. In the beginning verything sounded dull and colorless. The total sound picture are now very close to what I was expecting from the Thor's in the beginning. I did not try them again with the valve amps, but will soon. So it seems they really do need some "burn in" and can be a high-end speaker after all
;)

Sound update

Here is an update on the Thor's.
They have been playing now for about 70 odd hr's and definately changed quite alot. The 1ste change I noticed was after about 60hr's. The muffled bass became open and solid. I am not sure if this was because of the "burn in" time or because of the spikes I fitted in that period, but the sound is very natural now. During the last 5 hr's , the highs and mids also became very clear and transparent. In the beginning verything sounded dull and colorless. The total sound picture are now very close to what I was expecting from the Thor's in the beginning. I did not try them again with the valve amps, but will soon. So it seems they really do need some "burn in" and can be a high-end speaker after all - even if the published specs, graphs and reviews are not "clear" and "doubtfull" ;) I did not hear them down to 25Hz yet, but definately below 40Hz.

More good news.
Last night I tried the "Thor - Mullard" connection again. It was better then 80hr's (playing time) ago, but still bad.
While I was looking for something in my "workshop" I found the origenal Hammond box in which the output transformers was packed. On it was the diagram on how to connect the OT's for a 4ohm output Z. I totally forgot that it was possible with these OT's for differant output Z's (4,8,16 ohm and 70V - actually) Used to use them on 8ohm.

So reconnected them as 4ohm, and what a surprise :eek:
The "dullness" completely gone. Everything used to sound hollow and a piano was totaly false, now they sound very close to the true sound. The Thor's still sound better with the Denon setup, but atleast can be listened to now via the Mullards.

Scottmoose said:
Try playing Massive Attack's album Mezzanine for an initial thrash of drivers. The world's cheapest way of hammering speakers :D Not my sort of music as a rule, but for what it is, it's pretty good too.

Bloody Portishead's also good for testing dodgy surrounds, as my antiquated Advents found out a few years ago. PartsExpress to the rescue!

Francois.

I helped a friend "assemble" the Madisound Thor kit.

My impression was not very good until my 3rd or 4th visit to listen to them.

They changed quite a bit in the first month or two.

After 6 months of visits I couldn't stand it any longer and had him remove the stuffing. (with him protesting)

I then had him re inserted very little stuffing and the speakers came alive!

The dual 6.5" speakers had no initial snap to them. After burn in and tweaking they snap and boogie just right.

Good kit for the money.

rabstg said:
After 6 months of visits I couldn't stand it any longer and had him remove the stuffing. (with him protesting)

I then had him re inserted very little stuffing and the speakers came alive!

I must still try the stuffing trick. Other members here also suggested that - something like 0.3lbs / ft3. At moment (as suggested by the designer) it is closer to 0.8lbs/ft3

Using Mullards: (only 35W )
I removed the 8oz stuffing in the rear compartment (2nd half of TL) - got now basically 0.5lb/ft3 - all in the front compartment, and it sounds just perfect.
The mids/highs are just the way I like it with a valve amp, not too sharp + well balanced. The bass also changed a little bit, for the better. I still cannot say how low it goes, but definately below 40Hz, without any boomyness. Can now actually feel certain notes vibrating in my chair, did not do that before, and I like it :cool:

So if the Thor can sound like this, build to origenal specs (with less stuffing), I really would like to hear the "Fat Thor" one day.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.