One side finished in raw MDF - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2005, 03:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default One side finished in raw MDF

w00t w00t...

For those following my project, I decided to go with a shorter Mid/tweet panel 19.5" wide x 18" tall with a 6" floor instead of the 19.5" x 24" with side panels. BDS and my cardboard work showed very little difference between these two designs and the new one had a smaller midrange peak to equalize so i decided to go cut some MDF.

First piece - I completely screwed up the recess for the tweeter.. Those damn squares are awfully hard to cut.

Second Piece - Ribbon recess came out nice, however I measure the diameter for the PR170 at the face. Turns out it has a slight taper to the frame and the bottom is about 1/16" larger so it wouldn't fit.. I had to go at the recess freehand and its not exactly circular anymore... Oh well call it a test baffle Hopefully I'll make 2 more sunday.

Been listening for the last 2 hours and it sounds awsome.. Picked up even more detail than I was hearing with the cardboard baffles, the sound is incredible, very light and detailed.

The measured pretty well too, flat from 20k to 25hz with a slight dip around 250hz (~3db) very sharp too, not really sure where its coming from, can room nulls be that sharp? the total width is like 1/6 octave...

Comments welcome, I'm listening to some old school REM right now, Eagles live is next on my play list..

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th September 2005, 03:45 AM   #2
mac is offline mac  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks really nice. Are you compensating for driver offset using delay or all-pass circuit? Getting that just right can make a big difference in presentation.

As you can see I've been busy today too...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th September 2005, 03:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm using a DCX2496 for cross over and delay compensation.

I love the "clamp re-enforced bracing" you've got on there What woofers did you use? Looks like modern art to me, "form meets function"?

--Chris
Old 25th September 2005, 03:55 AM   #4
mac is offline mac  United States
diyAudio Member

Good deal - I'm using a DCX too.

The clamps are only temporary until I install the sides tomorrow. The woofers are the new Dayton Reference subs. They are quite impressive and performing better than I even hoped. I only went with them because the XLS' woofers are difficult to acquire at the moment.

Keep us posted of your progress!

Hide this!Advertise here!