Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

Were the speaker in use prior to you buying them? If so then they're broken in by now. ;)
Moving the stuffing will help with the Bass reproduction.

MDF finishing is a can of worms in itself. Start with sanding them down with 220 and then a light coat, or 2 or 3 of Dewaxed Shellac. Let dry and have a go at whatever top coat you prefer. There is a wonderful LONG thread (aren't they all) on how to achieve a Piano Black finish. Warning; lots of work and very messy.

Ron

Yes, I think they just needed 24 hours of "re-break-in"... They sounded pretty harsh at first.

I did moove the stuffing per your recommendation. The sound has improved considerably from it's original configuration. It's much cleaner now. I'm still getting a little boominess (not in the listening position), but I'm wondering if it could be due to the fact that the enclosure is not completely sealed. The loose panel is well clamped though... Or if I need some more stuffing. The Original Thor design calls for filling through the whole cabinet.

Or maybe I should move my drum kit somewhere else... LOL!

Anyway, I've attached a few images. The initial configuration, stuffing only at the bottom, no stuffing, and current configuration.

I'm thinking about adding a litle more stuffing throughout the enclosure, just leaving the volume next to the port free.

Julien

Attachments

• _MG_9063_2.jpg
    _MG_9063_2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 506
  • _MG_9068_2.jpg
    _MG_9068_2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 520
  • _MG_9075_2.jpg
    _MG_9075_2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 492
ARTA, Sound Easy, Woofer tester. There are a few software and hardware options out there. I think Speaker Workshop does impedance as well.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

I just filled the whole cabinet except for the part closest to the port and my resonance problem is gone, but the sound is not as open as before.
There must be a midle ground to be found. Maybe I have to losen the stuffing more, take some out and make it less dense...

On a side note, this drivers are fantastic. The amount of detail is amazing...!

I also measured the freequency response at about 1 meter with pink noise and it is very flat. It has a big deep at 30Hz. That's very impressive!

J

Thanks! I'll check them out.

I just filled the whole cabinet except for the part closest to the port and my resonance problem is gone, but the sound is not as open as before.
There must be a midle ground to be found. Maybe I have to losen the stuffing more, take some out and make it less dense...

It has a big deep at 30Hz. That's very impressive!

J

I think you've found out about "tuning" the cabinet. It will also be different in a different room. Your lucky you can access the cabinet from the side to adjust the density of stuffing. I have to go at it from the bottom.
Yes, the Thor's do go deep for mid bass speakers. Your especially. Very nice looking cabinets. Thanks for the pics. keep us informed!!!

You Offering to build cabinets Jack? :eek:

Ron

Oh! :rolleyes: "Way too EXPLITIVE high."

I think the "to" threw me off.

Yes, $600 scoots would buy alot of material.

Yes, you are correct. I apologize for not adding the correct amount of "O's".
No sarcasm intended, it is one of my pet peeves too. :D Got it right that time! LOL.
Thanks for catching that.

I thought "Scoots" were the people who lived in Scotland?

BTW; Alot is not a word, it's a lot.
Unless it's a proper noun like Alota Fagina from Austin Powers fame. ROTFLMAO
Ron

Last edited:
Just a quick follow up on my stuffing adventures.
I tried to stuff the fat Thors with the recommended amount (0.75lbs per ft3) and it is sounding very good. No resonances but still a very deep and tunefull bass, so much detail...

I'm now finishing the cabinets... I'll have to wait until I can really appreciate them. If they turn out good, I'll post some pics...