Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

Moynet said:
Congratulations Karl!

Those are unbelieved frecuency responses!

There are a lot and good DIY loudspeakers systems but yours are in the very special side.

Maybe some one who knows better the software can tell us if something is wrong over there. Its there a 1/24 octave resolution?

In the other side, in the subjetive side. How do you describe the sound scenario?

The performance of the speaker makes a wide and deep soundstage?

I'm very, very happy with it.
It has a very clear and natural sound and it's best feature is the soundstage. It is impossible to tell where the speakers are in the room with shut eyes. When you play a good recording from a large room - you are in a large room.
Voices and string instruments are unbelievable. :)

I just happened to do a distortion measurement.
Unfortunately I am not aware of any standard reference level i db, I just measured it playing..well, loud.

arta-dist_run1.jpg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
KarlXII said:
What exactly do you mean with spectrum charts?
This is run through a passive Promitheus preamp and a Nuforce Ref9 amplifier.

A spectrum shows the amount of each harmonic. What you are showing is a THD measurement collapsed along the spectrum dimension (for the amplifier/speaker system) and it gives us very little meaningful information. Slicing the 3D chart at a frequency gives a spectrum vrs distortion amplitude chart that tells more. A 3D chart with spectrum, frequency and distortion amplitude would be even better.

dave

planet10 said:

A spectrum shows the amount of each harmonic. What you are showing is a THD measurement collapsed along the spectrum dimension (for the amplifier/speaker system) and it gives us very little meaningful information. Slicing the 3D chart at a frequency gives a spectrum vrs distortion amplitude chart that tells more. A 3D chart with spectrum, frequency and distortion amplitude would be even better.

dave

What software can accomplish that?
I'm looking in the menus of ARTA, but I can't find those particular features. Which of course doesn't mean they are not there...perhaps I just can't find them.

Since this thread has helped me so much on info, thought id share pictures of the build for you.
Fat thor with upgraded Xover
more pics to come when i find me camera :eek:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

camaudio said:
Since this thread has helped me so much on info, thought id share pictures of the build for you.
Fat thor with upgraded Xover
more pics to come when i find me camera :eek:

G]

Wow are you building those out of corian? I'm sure alot of people would love to see more info on that. Since alot of us wanted to build corian, but are weary of the process or the router bits.

Are you using odin for the center channel?
What are you using for the dipole surrounds?
There aren't any seas excel dipole/bipole surround designs that im aware of.

I am as many will be quite curious.

Great build thus far, I'm jelous :) I admire your work.

nes

corian vaneer for the front, center, sub
solid corian for the surrounds, with some creative bracing

standard odin for the front
vifa for the surrounds
dayton 1kw and titanic subwoofer

any questions, just ask away!

this isnt my first corian build and already planning the next one

Thanks for sharing your work with us. Very cool useing Corian. Could you please describe the differences and similarieties milling Corian vs. Ply / MDF.
Awesome internal bracing on the sub box. Is that a 15" hole? I built a massive box for my 12" Titanic and it Rocks for HT....not needed with the small Thors though :D
Lookin' good.
Ron

milling it is easy, any wood bit will cut cleanly through it, granted it has to be sharp

glueing it together isnt for your avg DIY, it requires special procedures, dual cylinder pneumatic glue gun, hundreds of clamps, orbital sanders, etc...

but the most important thing, the cuts have to be absolutly perfectly straight and square, a tablesaw just wont cut it.

i had all the parts done on a CNC machine for this reason, to get the best seemless result.

the sub is 15"
3/4 wood with double front surrounded then by 1/2 corian and lots of bracing!

KarlXII said:
Great work! Thanks for sharing. :)

I just wondered how you finish the Corian?
Sand & spraypaint? Just polish it...?

How did you like the sound of the Fat Thor with new XO?

Oh, one more - what drivers are you using for the surround speakers?

just sanded down to a p1200 and left it at that
i was thinking about buffing it, but i ran out of time
would never want to take spray paint to it :eek:

didnt ever hear them with the stock xovers, got a little impatient, maybe next time

vifa for the surrounds