Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

Hey, diggin' up an oldie but goodie here :D

I'm interested in buying ar pair of built and used Thor's, searhec the net and stumbled over this thread... Leaving a bit more than somewhat puzzled. I've previously owned a pair of TDL RTL-2's (the original design with the sometimes "rude" tweeter, nevertheless, very "musical" speaker) and fell in love :clown: with the TL characteristics. Will I be disappointed in the performance of the original Thors?? I listen to jazz/funk and some acoustic music, I like to feel bass notes from bass drums and contrabass :cool:
Is the gain worth the effort the rebuild the boxes to the Fat Thor design?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys! :)

Yes, you probably would be disapointed. The fact that a cabinet is a transmission line does not automatically mean it's up to much, sadly. Remember, one TL is as different from another TL as one BR box is different from another BR box. Those old TDLs were good -Thor is passable, assuming the stuffing is ripped out of the last 10in or so of the line, but no more than that. Leave the stuffing as uniform density & it's operating almost like a 'perfect' TL, with almost the entire back-wave damped out, a very flat impedence curve presented to the driver, and medicore bass power / extension.

It probably would be worth the effort to build the Fat Thor -I'd be inclined toward one of the mass-loaded boxes though (Short Thor & Small Thor) which should give the best performance from these drivers.

I can personally vouch for the design of the small Thors. I built a pair of "curved Thors" and took them to the "Burning Amp" festival on Sunday in San Francisco. They were VERY well received by the audience. Many people stopped their individual conversations when the Thors were playing. The choice of music was not my favorite but it was OK. Sound wise? I love 'em.
I Thank Scott Moose and Planet 10 for the design, and credit was given to them both as the designer of the speakers.

Not terribly efficient speakers but the quality makes up for volume.
Ron

I've only built the 'normal' Thor's and I liked them - my center channel is an "Odin" and I like the THor's a little better. I also have a 15" subwoofer too ... this is for a home theater.

I haven't built the small Thors yet so I can't compare.

I guess you're thinking of buying the speakers and making a new enclosure.

That reminds me, I need to go find a coat hanger and pull some stuffing out.

I don't use a subwoofer when listening to the small Thors either. I had one person tell me there was too much bass!. Nahh..... Just right. Sub is used for home theater only. These guys did themselves proud with the cabinet modifications.......
I'll say it again.
Thank you ScottMoose and Planet 10.
Wish you could have been at the burning amp to hear'em.

Ron

Ok, guys thanks alot for the response!

The guy who's selling the pair I've found wants about 850USD, they seem well built in 25mm MDF, and with good components in the XO, not the cheapest components.

My thoughts are that it can't be no deal buying these, since the drivers are as good as they are. A "worst case" will be building new boxes, and I think I'm capable of that.
Thanks also for the tip about ripping out some of the stuffing (Y)

Any more guiding thoughts? :clown:

Hey - whatabout a bit of thanks to the guy who start all this argument ?. I spent quite a bit of time arguing with Dave & Scott, that has to count for something. ;) Only kidding all creds to Scott, Dave, Martin and everybody who participated.

Hans - IF you are paying for shipping maybe it would be better to just get the drivers & xover shipped to you, and pay for a litre / or two of petrol to burn those original boxes. :D

planet10 said:

I keep telling people... with global warming Victoria will end up with a climate like San Diego... with these current events, i'm thinking that may not be a very good thing -- we already sweat the summers as far as forest fires go.

dave

or a climate like Greenland's 650mm years ago.

i don't even know if you can put MDF or particle board in "de chipper."

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Renron said:
I can personally vouch for the design of the small Thors. I built a pair of "curved Thors" and took them to the "Burning Amp" festival on Sunday in San Francisco. They were VERY well received by the audience. Many people stopped their individual conversations when the Thors were playing. The choice of music was not my favorite but it was OK. Sound wise? I love 'em.
I Thank Scott Moose and Planet 10 for the design, and credit was given to them both as the designer of the speakers.

Not terribly efficient speakers but the quality makes up for volume.
Ron

I thought your speakers provided some of the best balanced sound and imaging on Sunday. The only scary moment was when the right channel tweeter started to break up at extremely high volume. I wasn't sure if it was the amp clipping or the tweet. But all was well when they lowered the volume a hair. Once again, great job!

Thanks for the kind words WBS. :D I'm sorry I don't remember what you brought. Everything was new to me, and I was quite overwhelmed (Not hijacking thread)
My thought was the amp that was clipping, I have played them much louder than they were at the time. I realize the size of the hall makes a difference, and it is always better to play it safe. At ~$160 + shipping per tweet I'm glad he turned down the volume.
It was a lot of fun to hear all the different speakers / electronics that everyone brought and worked so hard to build. Everyone was a truly part of the DIY family. Nice people... I only wish I could have stayed another 10 minuites to hear the F4s....Got home after 10:30 as it was.

That is a great price on those speakers. I paid that much for the drivers alone.
Hint: Upgrade the Xover components after you listen to them awhile. Then rebuild the boxes if you like. (You'll be glad you did)

Ron

Shaun said:
Hi, Ross

I don't think you'll find 25mm locally. I've just finished a set of Thor boxes for a friend, and I had to resort to 22mm. Just keep the internal dimensions the same. Thicker walls will result in more rigid sides. However, I don't think it is practical to increase the wall thickness, as it is already of a respectable thickness, yielding a fairly "dead" enclosure.

The boxes without drivers are already quite wieldy, so you may regret adding more mass...

here in quebec we have 2" mdf very practical for enormous boxes butnot for little ones