Clarity on Seas Thor Kit - Page 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2010, 07:57 PM   #981
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

And a few pics of Reputes nude bottoms...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gav bttm.jpg (127.9 KB, 490 views)
File Type: jpg bttm w xo.jpg (118.1 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg bttm w stand.jpg (82.1 KB, 442 views)
Old 23rd May 2010, 06:06 AM   #982
diyAudio Member

I'm building a fat thor. Almost complete with the fabrication and construction however when I put the front panel on I noticed that I made a huge mistake. My speaker cut outs are exactly 6" below where they should be. My question is: Will the new speaker locations cause a problem other than simply not being at listening level?
Oh, I'm using 1" MDF for the front panel and I'm out of 1" MDF. I used 1" all the way around because I didn't want to make the braces. The internal volume is the same as used in the 3/4" design.
Hope someone out there can help me.
Old 23rd May 2010, 08:15 AM   #983
diyAudio Member

Ah hah! Man I'm a genius. OK. To fix this all I do is cut 6" from the top of the panel and simple glue it to the bottom. Now my speakers aren't 6" too low.
Thanks everyone.

"Ideas may drift into other minds, but they do not drift my way.
I have to go and fetch them. I know no work manual or mental to equal the
appalling heart-breaking anguish of fetching an idea from nowhere."
Old 23rd May 2010, 09:00 AM   #984
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmcclurg View Post
Oh, I'm using 1" MDF for the front panel and I'm out of 1" MDF. I used 1" all the way around because I didn't want to make the braces.
The braces are still needed... thicker material does nothing to brace the drivers to the back of the box.

dave
Old 8th June 2010, 01:46 AM   #985
Mutuano is offline Mutuano  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Greetings!
Sorry if Iím posting at the wrong place but I would like to say thanks to Scottmoose, Planet10 and Martin J King for the excelent work done with the Small, Short and Fat Thor project.
Recently Iíve made a clone of the Small Thor speakers, using the same cabinet except for the drivers. Iím using 2 mids from Akronaudiotec (Akron KB6 - AKRONAUDIOTEC - Accesories and DIY - Mid Bass Akron KB6) and a Hiquphon OW4 tweeter.
The idea came up when I was playing with Martinís worksheets and noticed that these drivers performed very similar to the SEAS Excel at the Small Thor cabinet.
Here some photos during the DIY Fest Rio:
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Outstanding performance!!!
Regards,
Mutuano
Old 8th June 2010, 02:31 AM   #986
diyAudio Member

Mutuano -- finding less expensive but comparable drivers paves the way for even greater use of this schema. Congrats!
Old 8th June 2010, 01:27 PM   #987
diyAudio Member

Absolutely!
Thank you, Jack!
Regards,
Mutuano
Old 8th June 2010, 08:57 PM   #988
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Mutuano -- finding less expensive but comparable drivers paves the way for even greater use of this schema. Congrats!
Scott & i have also just done a commission for a VIFA P17 Thor-alike. Not road-tested yet thou.

dave
Old 9th June 2010, 01:01 AM   #989
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave!
That is an interesting project for sure.
One thing that Iíve noticed in this clone is the tremendous low frequency output. Iím still amazed with how low and loud this loudspeaker can go!!!
So thatís keep me wondering what is going to happen when I fire this speakers in my small room (itís a 10X10ft room)Ö
The speaker is now with the guy who designed the x-over.
Because of that Iím already simulating a new MTM using a 5Ē drive instead of the current 6,5Ē, the Scan-Speak 15W/8530K01.
The simulations are not finished yet and you will probably see them at Martinís Yahoo Group for discussions.
Many thanks once again!
Regards,
Mutuano
Old 9th June 2010, 03:12 PM   #990
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
space charged
diyAudio Member

Default Comments please ....

Just read an interesting review over at 6moons,

Quote:
In the 1970s, Joseph D'Appolito created an acoustical array of two mid/woofers symmetrically arranged above and below the tweeter in a vertical alignment. The main purpose was to eliminate lobing errors in multi-way speakers. Increasing vertical directivity wasn't initially important. Under certain conditions where poor listening room acoustics normally ruined the sound, one soon observed improved imaging and sound quality with this alignment. After more critical investigations, certain problems became evident as well. A D'Appolito system sounded vertically unstable and vague with even the slightest movement in the listening position. Thought the D'Appolito array today still has its supporters, most manufacturers ignore its strengths due to its compromises. The main problems with the D'Appolito configuration are:

• Interference at the crossover frequency: In most cases the distance between the radiating surfaces of the mid/woofers is larger than the crossover frequency's wavelength. This causes strong interference while moving in the vertical axis. Once you add a tweeter into this mess, the result is an acoustically very unstable behavior in the vertical axis.

• Different kinds of waveform behavior between tweeter and mid/woofers: Personally I find the even bigger problem to be that in a traditional D'Appolito configuration, the tweeter operates as a spherical radiator whilst the two symmetrical midranges tend to generate cylinder waves at the crossover frequency. While a cylinder wave fades at 3dB over distance, this doubles with a spherical wave to 6dB. The result is output instability over listening distance. To correctly balance a D'Appolito system is pretty difficult. Even in the best case the result will be more or less unstable. Is there a way to get a D'Appolito array to work properly?
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/aurelia/aurelia_2.html

Hide this!Advertise here!