Clarity on Seas Thor Kit - Page 70 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2008, 04:28 PM   #691
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Bill,
IMO....it would benifit you to build the new cabinets, short thor's if space for them is available. Building new cabinets will never leave you thinking, "I wonder if I should have" instead of trying to remake the existing thors into something they were not designed to be. As far as the X-overs go, I would just use them and see if they are acceptable first, this would save you up to $350 that could be used to pay for the new cabinet wood .
I am using the original X-overs with very HQ parts and they sound wonderful. As those at the Burning Amp event will tell you. (even though though they were Grossly underpowered)(clipped)
Good luck and enjoy the woodworking.
Ron
Old 4th January 2008, 05:03 PM   #692
RIP

Thanks for the reply Ron,
My first thought was the Short Thors, but after seeing the plots of the Smalls I think they would fit my listening tastes a little better, and my room isn't very large either. I dont have a HT setup, just stereo, and I have two Peerless subs that I dont use anymore. I think I'm going to try to delve into the design at Mr King's website and try to determine what I can do to save the cabs, not that I'm lazy but they are truly beautiful cabs, fully cherry veneered with 3/4 radius corners, many,many hours of work.
I forgot to thank all the people on this thread that posted their hard work and insight into saving the Thors and the original design goals, especially Scott for the sims.

I'll stay in touch
Bill
Old 4th January 2008, 05:09 PM   #693
RIP

Ron,
About the crossovers, I started messing with them after about a month. I never thought they were as good as they should have been and I made a lot of changes over the following months, but never got them nailed.
Regards, Bill
Old 5th January 2008, 10:06 AM   #694
KarlXII is offline KarlXII  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I think we're getting close to nailing them over here now.

It is truly remarkable how much impact even small changes in the filter does.
Old 5th January 2008, 12:54 PM   #695
RIP

Hi Karl,

I've been following that thread and have been in touch with Jim Mitchell. He believes the inadequate baffle step comp. of the original design might be a bigger problem than the cabs shortcomings. Having heard both cab designs your opinion carries a lot of weight, do you think the Small Thors with the new XOs fill out the thinness without the bass becoming bloated?
As suggested by Jim, I am going to try the new XOs with the original cabs before I start any demolition on them.
I'll report back when I've done it, I'm sure a lot of Thor owners would be interested.

Thanks, Bill
Old 5th January 2008, 03:27 PM   #696
KarlXII is offline KarlXII  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Fuss
Hi Karl,

I've been following that thread and have been in touch with Jim Mitchell. He believes the inadequate baffle step comp. of the original design might be a bigger problem than the cabs shortcomings. Having heard both cab designs your opinion carries a lot of weight, do you think the Small Thors with the new XOs fill out the thinness without the bass becoming bloated?
As suggested by Jim, I am going to try the new XOs with the original cabs before I start any demolition on them.
I'll report back when I've done it, I'm sure a lot of Thor owners would be interested.

Thanks, Bill
Bill,

I know they do.
Bass is simply fantastic with the new XOs in the Small Thor box. Midrange is also a clear improvement from the old design.

Yes, it's going to be really interesting to hear your opinion about the new XOs in the old box. What´s your time plan on that project?
Old 5th January 2008, 03:32 PM   #697
diyAudio Member

I suspect it should help quite a bit. Won't change the fact that the cabinet is effectively an aperiodic TL though & LF gain will never be particularly great as-is. Too small, too heavily stuffed.
Old 5th January 2008, 03:55 PM   #698
RIP

Hi all,

Hopefully I'll have the new XOs going by next weekend, just ordered the parts.

Scott, did you catch my proposed mods to convert the old cabs to the Small Thor design? The relocation of the driver center to .21 instead of .25 is my only concern, the internal mods are cake. Whats your opinion?

Thanks, Bill
Old 5th January 2008, 04:10 PM   #699
diyAudio Member

You'll get a little more ripple, but it shouldn't be heartbreaking. Still worth doing IMO, though with MDF etc so cheap, you'd probably find it as easy to just build a new box & have done with it.
Old 5th January 2008, 04:24 PM   #700
RIP

Good point, don't know which way I'll go yet. The wife thinks I'm crazy for even considering changing anything, but I cant help it. I know the're not right.

Thanks, Bill

Hide this!Advertise here!