Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

Been following this like others for years.. I'm purchasing the components to make my own pair, received the tweeters today..alas it'll be the end of the year before I can afford the 4 woofers..patience...patience.. Will post when my time comes..

In the meantime I've been thinking about how to get the internal bracing to fit exactly to the back of the woofers, my wood working skills are not bad but this has to be precisely, indeed exactly, executed. No room for error, too little and it will vibrate/have no effect, too much and you'll probably bend your baskets.
Seeing as I don't stand a chance of being that accurate with a saw I came up with an idea :
Cut the brace just short so theres a ~1mm gap. Mix up a cup of epoxy resin and let it start to harden slightly so its pliable. Apply it across the brace where its to meet the woofers. Add a layer of greaseproof paper, then fit and torque down the woofers. When the epoxy resin has gone hard, it will form a precise fit for the woofer. The greasproof paper is so that the woofers can be removed again...
Is this far too Heath Robinson for everyone or could I be on to something here ?
Your (kind!) thoughts if you please..

I have the original Madisound Thor kit I assembled sometime before 2005. I would like to rebuild the crossover, and have encountered several designs on this thread.
Will this XO be compatible with the Madisound cabinets?

Attachments

• excel_LR4_crossover_1500.jpg
    excel_LR4_crossover_1500.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 895
Are there any members willing to share their Fat Thor AutoCAD drawings files with me please? I want to have the flats cut, but don't have the software or knowledge to make my own drawings on CAD and have given up on doing it on Word and Publisher.

I have completed a fantastic pair of Small Thor speakers and revel in their sound daily. The next pair will be for my brother, but I have decided to go the Fat Thor route, as he prefers more bass and he does have the space for large spreakers.
If willing, please send me a PM - Many thanks to all the senior members without whom I would never have been able to build my speakers.
I haven't been back to this thread in a long time, but im looking to build a 2nd fat Thor set. I have my original AutoCAD drawings and im willing to share. Send me an email or PM if you would like them. chase(at)lt1ls1.com

I have the original Madisound Thor kit I assembled sometime before 2005. I would like to rebuild the crossover, and have encountered several designs on this thread.
Will this XO be compatible with the Madisound cabinets?

I have no idea. :) Is this XO using the same drivers? Can you measure them in the cabinet?

If so, get FRD files and ZRD (impedance) and import them into XSim, then you can emulate the crossover and examine it's performance virtually.

Otherwise, if the woofers are different, compare the recommended box sizes. Remember that if you put two woofers in the same acoustical space you'll need 2x the space as for 1.

Best,

Erik

Graks,
Using only 1 woofer will compromise the SQ dramatically. Your could try to use this XO by increasing the R4 on the tweeter and adjusting by ear. Better would be to take new measurements and redesign the XO.

Krzys23, the XO should be compatible with the poorly designed original size box. jMangie was using the XO with a smaller cabinet too.

:up:
Start with an 8.2R on the tweeter and tune it by ear. It may or may not work well without actually measuring its just guesswork. Only YOU have to like how it sounds.
Tune the subs 80hz - 100hz and you should be fine. You need to fill the bottom end because you lack the extra woofer.
Better option; buy another woofer for each speaker.

How should jimangies LR4 crossover be modified to work on a TM speaker with millennium tweeter and w18e001 woofer? i could keep the baffle as wide as the Thor and closed enclosure roughly 11 liter.

148714d1259690440-seas-thor-index-threads-excel_lr4_crossover.jpg

My guess is you need to double the values of the coils and half the value of the caps for the woofers. Then adjust the tweeter level down by 6dB.

The best is probably to build the crossover as is with your mtm's and just add the w26 with an active crossover.

I am using the W26 active, using Hypex DS 4.0 amp. Its in an closed enclosure, so not really much lower output than the odins. A simpler setup would be MT (closed or passport) with possported W26 box, around 90 liter. Maybe Dynabel here in Norway might help with the crossover design. They have suggested a 30 liter passport box for the W18E001:
Seas E0018 W18E-001 - DYNABEL AS
100 liter passports for W26FX001: Seas E0026 W26FX-001 - DYNABEL AS

Hi.I want to buy a quality speaker kit.Intertechnik is a good place to buy (however their communication is poor,they did not answer my emails)
Which of them do you suggest? What are the differences ? Satori seems newer technology but thor kit seems quality and have magnesium cones.
https://www.intertechnik.de/Shop/Lo...ts-with-Seas-Excel/_BSTHOR_1768,en,2426,47239
or
https://www.intertechnik.de/Shop/Lo...h-SB-Satori/_BSSatorique2_1768,en,7431,156007
I already bought a subwoofer from them
https://www.intertechnik.de/Shop/Lo...ics-subwoofer/_SB34NRX75-6_1768,en,7977,53312
and i will cross with system at about 80-100 Hz (i already built 100 liters of sealed subwoofer)

If you were me which of them do you buy? (I like pop , rock,need a speaker for all kind of musics)
Best regards

Last edited:
Hi.I want to buy a quality speaker kit.Intertechnik is a good place to buy (however their communication is poor,they did not answer my emails)
Which of them do you suggest? What are the differences ? Satori seems newer technology but thor kit seems quality and have magnesium cones.
https://www.intertechnik.de/Shop/Lo...ts-with-Seas-Excel/_BSTHOR_1768,en,2426,47239
or
https://www.intertechnik.de/Shop/Lo...h-SB-Satori/_BSSatorique2_1768,en,7431,156007
I already bought a subwoofer from them
https://www.intertechnik.de/Shop/Lo...ics-subwoofer/_SB34NRX75-6_1768,en,7977,53312
and i will cross with system at about 80-100 Hz (i already built 100 liters of sealed subwoofer)

If you were me which of them do you buy? (I like pop , rock,need a speaker for all kind of musics)
Best regards
Hi.Any advice?I want to have the best system (towers to be slim as possible because of Waf ) Regards Umit

middel THOR Built

Hi all. First I have to thank everyone who has contributed in this thread. I read this thread and a lot of others. A lot of information  Im thinking of building a set speakers and have made a suggestion to a curved cabinet from the drawings that you have made here. I have looked at Ron's drawing and added some more depth Like RON suggested in his Curved THOR thread. Internal volume of these sketches is a somewhere in between SMAL THOR and SHORT THOR. about 86 l.
Have tried to reveal dimensions in attached pictures and hope you can give feedback on whether it is worth realize this build. Appreciated all the help I can get.

Ante

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 203
Changing the depth of the small Thor

I am a recent member. I have read the entire "Clarity on the Seas Thor kit" threads and some other threads on related topics. I have ordered Thor (Kit), drivers and crossovers (the original). This will be my second speaker build, I built a small monitor from Seas earlier, but then I just followed the instructions. This time I have searched the web before I made my decision.

To start with I would like to Thank Scottmoose, and planet10 for the design work, jimangie and the community for the cross over work and speaker testing, Renron, KarlXII and all the others for the inspiration. I appreciate the work the whole community did to improve this speaker. It is simply admirable how helpful and knowledge sharing everybody is.

I would like to build the small Thors, but optimally WAF requires a 16,5” inches depth outside(15 inches inside). I would need to keep the width at 9 inches so I don’t have to redesign the XO (I do not have the skills or equipment to do it properly), and preferably a speaker height so the tweeters is in ear height 43 inches (46 inches including the spikes). I do not know how the changes affects the quarter wave calculations so I do not know what to do or how much redesign it will require.

Any thoughts?