Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

Re: Re: Re: chorus sounds gritty or Xtra sharp!

planet10 said:

It won't fix it, the resonance will still be there. The only place it can be fixed is in the driver itself.

dave

Admitedly I am a beginner at this DIY thing, just trying to understand the concept of resonance as it applies to the Thor/Odin speakers.
Is the resonance in the cone / spider or the frame? In the case of the frame could blue tac or similar compound be applied to lessen the effect? What frequency are we talking about?
Would those frequencies (assuming their above the Xover Fq) be excited by the tweeter? As Henkjan suggested.
If the tweeter was better isolated from the interior of the cabinet would that help reduce the energy transfer to the W18s? Or is the baffle and driver proximity the conduit?

I hope this is not too dumb. And I know I'm out of my league with this stuff, but I'm learning about a hobby I enjoy.

Ron

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: chorus sounds gritty or Xtra sharp!

Henkjan said:
if there is nothing to exite the resonance, there will be nothing that resonates... :rolleyes:

Even if you notch that frequency out completely (ie create a huge dip in your FR), harmonic distortion products from lower frequencies will still excite the resonance (measurements were shown, IIRC, on a german forum)

dave

Attachments

• odin mk4 filter jeroen.png
    odin mk4 filter jeroen.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 732
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: chorus sounds gritty or Xtra sharp!

rob3262 said:

The guy with the most beautiful curved Thors is out of his league...

Thank you, I can create with wood what others have taken the time to design. I am just learning electronics. NOOB. But, I can build circuits.

Dave, as I understand your post(s) the 1/2 order and secondary harmonic frequencies can cause the distortions. So....there is no way to eliminate them, only reduce the primary ones. I think I got it.

Henkjan, do you have a link to Jeroen_d 's post on that X-over filter?

Ron

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: chorus sounds gritty or Xtra sharp!

jackinnj said:

Could be the singers. They "smile" the high notes (out of fear) as this vocal posture is easier to control than the "open voice". Unfortunately the overtones make your ears bleed.

This may indeed be some or all of what's coming through as the sound I hear. :xeye:
String quartets don't induce this gritty sound which seems to point to what you say about the singers.

Out of curiousity I will experiment by disconnecting the tweets to see/hear if any of it is produced by the mid/woofs.

Twisted Pair Buffalo ESS Sabre dac |volumite| > F5 > Seas Thors

Hi all,

playing the Small Thors för almost a year and a half, I'm still extremely pleased with the sound quality. Tonal response, bass extension and dynamics - top notch.

But they're still ordinary speakers with the sound presentation ordinary speakers do with a sweet spot tighter than a.....well. :D
Lately I've been listening to and also aquiring some Carlsson/Sonab speakers, which has a very different approach in presenting the sound to the listener - the orthoacoustic way.

Info about this and the work of Stig Carlsson can be found at http://www.carlssonplanet.com/index.php?lang=en&

Inspired by this I'm getting interested in rebuilding the Small Thors, with the intent to keep the best from the current boxes with it's great bass extension , the great sound from the Excel drivers and merge it with the orthoacoustic sound delivery.

There's a lot of challenges to make this work. One is of course the angle of the drivers and disposition of the topside baffle, another is the design of the box in order to keep the bass performance.

With the box being approximately 2 - 2,5 feet high, how would this be possible? Is this possible at all if you fold it two times...?
What I had in mind was something like this:

orthothor-1.jpg

Karl, looks like the presentation would be off-axis. There was a speaker designed like this? I'm not familiar with 'orthoacoustic' - sounds like bug killer. For sound.

The driver placement does remind me of some omni-directionals. Ohm Acoustics out of New York manufactured many iterations of omnis besides the Walsh drivers they're know for.

For your design, are you limited to 2 mid-bass drivers per cabinet, or would you explore more? Strictly 2-way, or possibly three way?

For a start you are turning an MTM 2 way into a TMM. You'll get some nasty destructive interference between T and bottom M with the existing crossover given the CTC spacing. I also think the odd angles will play havoc on tweeter smoothness.

Seems to me orthoacoustic is the opposite of direct radiation, ie. with orthoacoustic you very much rely on room / surface reflections to cater for drooping off-axis response of drivers, whereas direct radiation hopes for no reflection interference (but maybe a little room gain from boundary effects).