Clarity on Seas Thor Kit - Page 43 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2006, 09:38 PM   #421
diyAudio Member

They look stunning!!! However, your better half may have preferred white to match the decor.
Old 22nd November 2006, 03:37 PM   #422
diyAudio Member

I have been using the stock xo's from Madisound -- not quite happy with these -- my testing of the xo's does not quite comport with the graphs in the AudioXpress article -- and there is some nastiness arising from the compensation network -- more work to follow.

I forgot that I took this pic of the shop-vac after finishing the speakers -- from routing the speaker cutouts:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd November 2006, 04:10 PM   #423
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

Any Seas/Thor guys also build a Scanspeak Solist and compare the sound?
Old 22nd November 2006, 10:53 PM   #424
diyAudio Member

jackinnj,

I'd be interested in your measurements and crossover changes, as I would like to build this speaker... but it seems almost everything has been wrong about its design, which does make me worried!

Cheers,
David.
Old 22nd November 2006, 11:19 PM   #425
diyAudio Member

well, they sound awfully, awfully good -- they do take quite a while to get excercised -- note that my design is hardly the one which was published in AX in 2003 -- I used Martin's Mathcad worksheets and advice from fellow forum members. I will have to work on the baffle step correction a bit more -- all in all it's a very nice project and I am not disappointed.
Old 23rd November 2006, 01:32 AM   #426
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that feedback. Good to know the high investment in drivers is worth it if they sound very good. I was just concerned that if the cabinet design was suspect - the xo might be too.

I can't remember the xo topology... was the compensation a notch filter? or zobel (woofer or tweeter section)? Are you saying the issue with the xo is in the frequency range where BSC is required (ie. the speakers sound a bit thin) - or are you getting harshness / brightness higher up the freq. range?

Have you done any phase tracking measurements through the xo region? I'm interested not only in their freq response but phase tracking (something I can't recall whether published in AX).

Also - are you doing your measurements in room? (or open space?).

Cheers,
DAvid.
Old 23rd November 2006, 01:39 AM   #427
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
well, they sound awfully, awfully good -- they do take quite a while to get excercised -- note that my design is hardly the one which was published in AX in 2003 -- I used Martin's Mathcad worksheets and advice from fellow forum members. I will have to work on the baffle step correction a bit more -- all in all it's a very nice project and I am not disappointed.

I'd be curious to see the reverse null FR response.

Pete B.
Old 23rd November 2006, 03:16 AM   #428
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

WOW, it's been a year since I made these for Repute and he has not complained to me about them once.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...590#post773590

That is incredible if you know Repute. Great guy, but can find the flaw in ANY diamond....

His father is a looonnng time audiophile who rutinely visits his son, listens and he still like this design / new cabinet.

I personally think I could live with them and this new box did let the woofers shine as the marvelous drivers they are.
Old 23rd November 2006, 11:49 AM   #429
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bullet
Thanks for that feedback. Good to know the high investment in drivers is worth it if they sound very good. I was just concerned that if the cabinet design was suspect - the xo might be too.

I can't remember the xo topology... was the compensation a notch filter? or zobel (woofer or tweeter section)? Are you saying the issue with the xo is in the frequency range where BSC is required (ie. the speakers sound a bit thin) - or are you getting harshness / brightness higher up the freq. range?

Have you done any phase tracking measurements through the xo region? I'm interested not only in their freq response but phase tracking (something I can't recall whether published in AX).

Also - are you doing your measurements in room? (or open space?).

Cheers,
DAvid.

I first measured them out-doors on a stool so that the drivers were about 6 feet above ground. Have measured them in-doors -- the problem here is that they "load" the chimney! Most recently , I measured them out-of-doors again, this time with the drivers close to earth -- but it got to cold to finish up the measurements.
Old 23rd November 2006, 06:23 PM   #430
diyAudio Member

You can get closer to the claimed response for the original vcabinet by ripping all the stuffing out of the last 6in of the line. Still not what I'd be after from these drivers though, but better. The MLTLs would still be my choice though.

Hide this!Advertise here!