Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

I recently visited a friends friend He has an 500 000 USD stereo
I think it is the most expensive private set up in hole nordic any way he had the QRS jupiter front speakers (only couple in the world) with 18 inch woofers on the sides ( i think scaning drivers founders of scanspeaks new company) .
The funny part is that this was not enough he filled up the low freqs with an utopia sub ! running from 15-35 hz maybe ,
I now know how true low frequency response sounds and how important it is for music and movies , So i decided to build my self an high end subwoofer soon with hypex amp and some scanspeak higest end woofers , I will have this sub running between 20-45 hz , the thors will be filled up with a little more wool but otherwise i will let them run full range ,

The THOR Tall

Just finished the TALL version.......... 49.75 tall, 12.75 deep 9 inches wide.......... per PLANT10's GREAT plans!!!! They are awsome................ solid red oak................

Attachments

• thor.jpg
    thor.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,189
linoll said:
I recently visited a friends friend He has an 500 000 USD stereo

I subscribe to the magazine for "The American Guild of Organists" -- for 1/2 large (that's what we call a half-million) you could purchase a magnificent instrument and obtain the services of a PhD musicologist to play the thing every evening for a year !!!! In his spare time the organist could chauffeur you around in the Maybach, prepare the goose liver and decant the Chateaux Margaux.

cue drum role

Well, I am sure you all thought I was just kidding, but I have finally managed to save up the money to order the thor kit. I plan on ordering this weekend / beginning of next week and will start a dedicated build thread with lots o' pictures and tales of construction. I am planning on the short thor design. I am going to ditch the idea of a curved front, mostly because I lack the skill to make said curve. Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread, I am learning much.

If anyone has any last minute suggestions I'm all ears!

Patrick

Well, there's nothing much wrong with the drivers, if you like the Seas approach. I can't speak for the crossover, as I'm no expert, though I notice there's a couple of camps: those who rate it, those who think it needs tweaking, so on ballance, I reckon it's probably a fairly good specimin, as 2 way passive crossovers go. It's the enclosure that really hampers it unless it's in a small room; Fat Thor or one of the MLTLs should solve that though.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
andy2 said:
Sorry, I thought you plan to build from the kit. I don't know about the short design. Do you happen to have the link?

the link would be to this thread, which is all about addressing the deficeincies in the Thor box design. There is Fat Thor, Short Thor & Small Thor, all of which should handily better Thor. The ones that have been built have been universally praised.

dave