Clarity on Seas Thor Kit - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2005, 08:06 AM   #151
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
I'm with you entirely regarding the bipolar notion. Perhaps a bipolar Fathor would be a good option?
You'd have to redo the XO (no baffle-step & the tweeter level needs to match the single driver on the front (which may be the same since there is no BS to compensate for) so you could rotate the enclosure (to get the drivers loading the line in the same place) and then push the cabinet more towards a square prism.

dave
Old 7th November 2005, 12:58 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Perhaps a bipolar Fathor would be a good option?
A Thor with bipolar disorder -- think of the operas we could write.
Old 7th November 2005, 02:34 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

Oops. I meant the Shorthor MLTL, which wouldn't have the line-loading placement problem. I'm loosing it!
Old 7th November 2005, 07:16 PM   #154
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Oops. I meant the Shorthor MLTL, which wouldn't have the line-loading placement problem. I'm loosing it!
Yes, that would be easier... still need to tweak the XO thou (ie rip out the BSC)

dave
Old 7th November 2005, 08:14 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
John -I don't think it's the mouth area that's the problem -that's pretty much fine as it stands; what does appear to be a problem though is basic cabinet volume or lack thereof (hense Shorthor and Fathor). The drivers are great though, few would dispute that.
I found the quote - my mistaken memory. Indeed, there was a note about a little terminus but the overall feeling was the line was too short. This stemmed from Dave and Martin's review of my Mathcad workup of the Thor the last time this subject came up. It's at:

DIY Forum post for Mathcad Thor model

Regarding the Bipolor, I think I sort of started that - what I was looking for was a way to get the speakers turned on their side to become a center channel speaker for a home theater. I have about a foot of space or so behind the screen. I don't realy care about bipolar, I just wanted them thinner than wide. I think if I move the port to the back side instead of the 'right hand side' I could mount the drivers on the side in either of these, the short or the fat.

I'm about to order an Odin to be a center channel but I like the idea of the sideways Thor, I think it would be a better match sonically.

I'm also thinking of making a Voigt pipe out of these drivers - for the rear channels I could make them fit inside a built in bookcase that way. If the wife decides to flip the media room (again) then these would be the front speakers. Basically, an unfolded Thor, but that would put the drivers at the top of the ceiling. So the pipe would be a better form factor. Not sure which one would sound better.
Old 7th November 2005, 09:53 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Hello All,

I currently have a pair of Thor speakers I built from the Madisound Kit. They are great sounding speakers, however I do feel they lack on the lower end.

I'm interested in building one of the new variations presented previously in the thread. If building difficulty were not an issue, which variation of the Fat Thor is preferred ("regular" or trapezoidal)?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of each?

Apologies for my newb question, but is there a benefit to use a pedestal vs. the inclined (trapezoidal) speaker or vice-versa? Will tilting an MTM design off set the time alignment of the two mids?

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

Regards,
Rep
Old 7th November 2005, 10:21 PM   #157
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Repute
If building difficulty were not an issue, which variation of the Fat Thor is preferred ("regular" or trapezoidal)?
Which is preferred is down to cosmetics mostly.

The idea with the trapezoid is that is will be marginally less imposing (since it is a tad shorter) & is a more interesting shape than a rectangular box.

The only disadvantage is that the amount of lean gives a range of listening distance that is optimal. (ie you draw a perpendicular from the tweeter and it should (approximately) do thru your head at the listening distance.

dave
Old 7th November 2005, 10:43 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the prompt reply Dave.

Is the Beta 1 design in Post 113 still the latest and greatest?

Regards!
Rep
Old 7th November 2005, 11:02 PM   #159
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes...
Old 13th November 2005, 06:15 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

I ordered a Madisound Odin kit (with cabinet).

Yea, I know

I wanted to hear the same arrangement in a 'regular' box compared to the Thors. I'll use quick connects on the internal wiring and reuse the drivers for testing.

I'm going now to pick up some MDF to make the fat thor. Would it be possible to move the terminus to the back?

It looks like I can get 3 sides out of a piece of MDF, so I can try my Wide Thors (Fat Thor turned 90).

Maybe I'll call those Wotans (Wide Thors).

And the "Fat Thor" I would like to christen Mjollnir's .. they DO look like hammers. I painted my basses a dark metallic color on my regular Thors.

I forgot to order the vents - would regular PVC work OK for a vent? The current Thors just have a square hole.

Hopefully Jack will beat me, he's got a much better test suite there I've got a Radio Shack SPL meter and I ordered some test CD's.

Hide this!Advertise here!