Clarity on Seas Thor Kit - Page 112 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2013, 12:11 AM   #1111
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

8ntractor,
Thank you for the very kind words. I warned you about finishing the cabinets........LOL. Too funny.
I am just a termite, making little pieces of wood out of big pieces. Dave (Planet10) and Sir Scottmoose are the heros of this speaker transformation.

James5000,
I'll try to answer most of your questions in the order you asked them. Easy to be overwhelmed with information from so many credible sources.
First, I'd charge (even a friend) more than a few "Fosters" for the trouble your about to take on. (hint: don't offer to paint them piano black) LOL you'll be sorrrrrrryyyyyyyy!
Second, the "Kit" that is sold on line is CRAP. That is what Planet10 and ScottMoose worked so hard to correct. The XO (crossover is crap too)
There are currently 3 versions of the "Thors" that have had the design corrected.
The Small, The Fat and The Short. I built the "Small". It has great WAF appeal.
Here is Planet10s website with the dimensions and a good XO design by Jimangie. I can vouch for this XO, it helps. Reduces the Db a few from the original design but is worth the attenuation.
http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/Revis...hor-291109.pdf
Mount the XO on the OUTSIDE of the cabinet. I originally built them inside and then later changed to outside. MUCH easier to change a C or R.
Either Baltic birch plywood (has more layers and zero voids) or MDF. MDF makes lots of nasty dust. I used Italian bendy plywood for mine. Either is OK.
Use lots of bracing internally and butt joints are fine with a good quality glue. You know which one you prefer. Hard to over brace the box. Until you start to negate the internal volume. Use whatever type of jointery you prefer. You can locate the port in the front or down, if you put it in the rear, it will sound boomy placed near the wall. Dont' do it!
Planet10 already has drawing posted (above link) , but we would like to see your progress as you build them. Start a new thread with your build pictures and questions, put a link in this thread so we can find / follow your progress. We answer questions more often when pictures are involved. I'm sure 8ntractor will be a fountain of knowledge and glad to help you with your build questions.
Ron
Still lovin' my Thors. Thanks Dave and ScottMoose!
Old 27th August 2013, 04:25 AM   #1112
diyAudio Member

Hi Ron,
You, Scottmoose and Dave forgot way more than I will ever know about this. I am happy with my first build and they will likely be my last because they are good enough that I will live with them for a long time. I kept my b$w's for a decade and these are superior. I was playing around with them after bolting the drivers in and i inverted the tweeter polarity I also used a speaker location calculator "rule of 5ths".and put them on hockey pucks (this is canada after all) they always sounded good but now they really sound good. I finally got around to measuring the speakers today with a cheap radio shack spl meter and a computer generate sine wave sweep. +/- 3 from 42 - 20k at the listening position. I am sure the measurement was not super accurate. but the band is in the room.
Ben
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:13 PM   #1113
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
Im thinking on rebuilding my old Thors. I have few questions. What is the difference between Fat Thor and Fat Thor ML sound wise? I really like the old Thor for the not boxy bass and mid. So am I wrong to think that Fat Thor would be better in that region?

Then about the crossover. Ive found a couple of schematics for a new xo. One on the link on Renrons post above and this one:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...-crossover.jpg

Is the latter one the latest version from jimangie1973 and can it be used on Fat Thor?

Thaks in advance
Juhi
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:50 PM   #1114
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

I have not heard either the Fat Thor or the Fat Thor ML versions of the design.
I would guess, it's only a guess, that they would sound VERY similar. Pick one! You'll be happy.
Can't help you with the XO question, sorry. Send Jimangie a PM.
Ron
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:48 AM   #1115
xa1976 is offline xa1976  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I backed off on the percentage after seeing yours and greenie's swisscheese. You want to use the holes to let air flow freely, to break up resonances, but not so many that they compromise the structural integritiy of the brace. Some of ours likely get as low as 30%.

dave

Hello,

I build "small thor" I read the whole topic but I had to miss this passage.

I think I removed too much when I do my swiss cheese .. : ( what will be the impact on the final result, is it serious?
Thank you in advance for your answers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0074.jpg (500.7 KB, 118 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!