Clarity on Seas Thor Kit - Page 110 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2012, 09:43 PM   #1091
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Doah!

Damn it, I was wrong. I'm wrong so often, I should be good at it by now. Sorry.
Dave it was your co-designer / partner in crime ScottMoose who said it. Post #556

"In reality, I was understating above -Thor would actually need ~0.75Kw to properly handle ~live level dynamic peaks."

Jackinnj,
Are you referring to adjusting the bias of the F5? If so, no, it's as stock as the day it was finished. R11 = .6V @ 0.V DC
My F5 never gets hot, it is almost an open air build with great ventilation.

As this is directly related to the Thor's (love 'em) and their power requirements, I don't consider this a thread drift. If others do, I'll move the conversation to a separate thread.

Ron
Old 13th June 2012, 10:00 PM   #1092
diyAudio Member

Your average out-of-the box amplifier has gain of ~26dB while the F5 is only ~15dB.
Old 13th June 2012, 10:24 PM   #1093
diyAudio Member

Jackinnj.
So how many W's do you feed your Thors?
Old 14th June 2012, 12:14 AM   #1094
diyAudio Member

I use 4x F5's and bi-amp the Thors -- so they'll do 20 - 25W without perspiring.
Old 14th June 2012, 02:39 AM   #1095
diyAudio Member

Impressive. I'm sure the sound is even more impressive.
Thanks for sharing your setup.

Ron
Old 14th June 2012, 08:47 AM   #1096
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renron View Post
.....As this is directly related to the Thor's (love 'em) and their power requirements, I don't consider this a thread drift. If others do, I'll move the conversation to a separate thread.....

Ron
Care and feeding of the Thors is directly related to the thread. Repute has an Adcom GFA5800 on his. Class A for the for first 10 watts then like 300 AB.

Not bad at all but not nearly an F5 or NC400's.....
Old 19th July 2012, 03:56 PM   #1097
Hari is offline Hari  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
Hi John,

This subject probably would have come up sooner or later, and I actually believe it is best to discuss it because TLs are not very well understood. People are going to disagree at times this is how we come to a better understanding. I have made comments to the effect that some modified TLs are moving closer to something similar to a vented system, and I've pointed out the TL to vented analogy on the web for many years. This is why I responded.

Hope your other issues work out.

Best Regards,
Pete B.
I think putting it in perspective a TL sounds better than a vented system in the low frequency and the mid-range section given the same set of drivers. Mass manufacturing of TL systems are difficult as they involve stringent requirements for damping the line which are not easy for mass commercial manufactures. Vented enclosures on the other hand are easy to manufacture and does not have stringent tolerances. Mass commercial manufacturing does not have different results where as in a TL there can be huge variations in teh mid-range / low frequency due to damping tolerances. Hence there are only a handful of commercial TL manufactures and they know what they are doing.

Kind Regards,
Hari.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:18 AM   #1098
diyAudio Member

Hello.

I have been looking at Speaker kits for quite some time and recently got the thor drivers and crossovers(preowned) as an xmas present. After reading all the good work done by Scottmoose, planet 10, Jim and all the others on this thread. I am going to build the small thors. This is my first project so I was wondering if there is a build instruction for the thors? I can build the cabinets but I am a little worried about simple things that can go wrong like wiring (what type of wire should I buy) and how to hook up the speakers. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Ben
Old 13th November 2012, 03:08 PM   #1099
diyAudio Member

Mr. Tractor,
Can I call you 8n?
LOL, OK Ben. Start a new thread when you are ready to start your speaker build. Post a link in this thread to your new thread. That way we can follow you and help you out when you need it.
Advice? You'll get plenty of that!
Don't go hog wild on expensive wire for Xovers or speaker connections. Do buy good to Very good Xover components. They will be expensive. When it comes time to build those Xovers, ask about which parts people like and the prices.
Use Baltic birch plywood 3/4" at LEAST. 1/2" with 3/4" over that would be even better for the cabinets. Don't go cheap on the plywood and/or veneer. Ask a lot of questions in your thread. Show us pictures of your progress, it keeps us interested.
Ron
Old 13th November 2012, 07:21 PM   #1100
diyAudio Member

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the early help. your speaker build is certainly an inspiration. I showed your speakers to my wife -- then had to show her some unfinished MDF boxes to give her more realistic expectations. Were we live (rural Ontario) I can get 3/4 MDF or Russian birch. I bought both and thought I would build the baffle and supports from MDF and the sides out of ply. After reading more I think I will build the exterior out of ply and layer at least the baffle with MDF. I am not sure about the braces. After I got the ply home it is only 5/8 and that is all the home depot has so maybe I should layer the whole cabinet with ply on the outside and MDF on the inside. which leads me to a question that I have spent quite a bit of time trying to answer reading the threads. If I chamfer the baffle say 1" on each side is the 9" baffle now 7" or is it still 9" for the baffle step correction? I will start a thread on your good advise but the drivers and crossovers are in customs so it could take quite a while to get them. I would like to finish getting the material to start on the cabinets. Its kind of funny about 25 years ago we lived in Madison and I went to Madisound, at the time they had kits but none assembled or none to listen to just components. If I had made a different choice back then I would have started this hobby a lot earlier.

Thanks again

Ben

Hide this!Advertise here!