Clarity on Seas Thor Kit - Page 106 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2011, 11:13 PM   #1051
eboleyn is offline eboleyn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimangie1973 View Post
Depending on the length of the port, the 1.2 cu ft box may have a peaking due to the higher tuning frequency. This possible peaking is why I recommend you get the acousta-stuf to damp the reflex response with.
One more question on ports that might be interesting for the general forum:

The port outlet has a plastic ring that serves to round the edges on the hole a bit. I.e. my port tube is about 10" long and 3" wide, but it has a short constriction at the end (due to the plastic ring) that reduces it to 2.75" for a very short distance.

So, the question is: Does having a short constriction at the end of the port change the port size calculation?

For example, the calculation for a 2.75" port would give a different tuning.

Erich Boleyn
Old 30th December 2011, 12:27 AM   #1052
diyAudio Member

I just ran your numbers in Unibox and it looks like you get a pretty good response with heavy fill. You get an F3 of about 50 Hz. I would leave the fill in there, just don't cover the port entrance and try to allow a path from the woofers to the port entrance.

Once the new crossover is in place, then mess around with the fill until you get the balance you desire.

The 2.75" port end will cause additional resistance to the air flow which will lower the tuning frequency slightly. In your case, this is a good thing because you want a low tuning frequency for these woofers.
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:44 PM   #1053
eboleyn is offline eboleyn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimangie1973 View Post
I just ran your numbers in Unibox and it looks like you get a pretty good response with heavy fill. You get an F3 of about 50 Hz. I would leave the fill in there, just don't cover the port entrance and try to allow a path from the woofers to the port entrance.

Once the new crossover is in place, then mess around with the fill until you get the balance you desire.

The 2.75" port end will cause additional resistance to the air flow which will lower the tuning frequency slightly. In your case, this is a good thing because you want a low tuning frequency for these woofers.
Thanks again for your help.

I've ordered the various parts for the lower baffle-step compensation version of the 1.5K crossover.

I also have some port covers (thick plastic cover which is open to the sides and has a spike in the center to minimize port noise) which should have a similar effect of tuning the frequency a bit lower yet that I can try out as an alternative to stuffing the box very much.

Anyway, I'll know more in another week or two when the parts are here.
Old 21st January 2012, 07:21 PM   #1054
JC is offline JC  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Crossover versions

Sorry, I am a little confused about crossover versions. One has an 8.7 cap and 3.6 ohm resistor in the tweeter circuit. Another has a 5.7 cap and 4 ohm resistor in the tweeter circuit.

Which is the latest and best? What is the difference in sound character?

I had thought the 5.7 / 4 was the latest based on this:

SEAS Thor | Index to threads
Old 27th January 2012, 11:29 PM   #1055
diyAudio Member

Hey guys .Been reading through this massive thread and some others as well looking for info on the Thor kit.

In the shop i work in we sell hifi and home cinema equipment amongst other and one of the brands we sell uses the W18E001
drivers (XTZ speakers), so i can get some good prices on these, and i have some of their speakers in my HT and like the sound of them. and on another totally useless point i am from Norway and live only an hour away from the factory making these drivers . This made me look at the Thor DIY kit for my first speaker build.

I also got an bargain on a pair of
T29MF001 magnum tweeters ( 150$ instead of 770$ ) that i just couldn't resist taking.
From what i have read here i have decided to build a pair of FAT THOR but i need some help remodeling the xo for the different tweeters.

According to seas, i mailed them and asked, they say i have to adjust the xo for the higher sensitivity of the magnum tweeters.

This is my first Diy hifi speakers, I have made a few sub enclosures for car stereo and so on, and first attempt to make my own xo. so all help is appreciated

Data sheet for the T29MF001
http://www.seas.no/images/stories/ex..._datasheet.pdf

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st February 2012, 12:00 PM   #1056
diyAudio Member

I recommend keeping the "common" of the high pass and low pass XO filters separate -- easily done if you're using the Madisound XO printed ckt boards. I checked and double checked the wiring on my XO's before doing this == they were wired according to the schematic in AudioXpress == (the bass and treble units wired in the same polarity) but when I reversed the polarity on the tweeter the staging opened up like never before. YMMV, but perhaps this is why one of the schematics floating around on the web has the phasing opposed.

Last edited by jackinnj; 1st February 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 2nd February 2012, 04:38 PM   #1057
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
space charged
diyAudio Member

Default YES!!!

YES!!! Thank you for reminding me. I had thought about this quite sometime ago then never got around to trying it. I would sometimes get a slight image shift when moving my head a foot or so left-right. You are right on, staging has opened up and depth of field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
I recommend keeping the "common" of the high pass and low pass XO filters separate -- easily done if you're using the Madisound XO printed ckt boards. I checked and double checked the wiring on my XO's before doing this == they were wired according to the schematic in AudioXpress == (the bass and treble units wired in the same polarity) but when I reversed the polarity on the tweeter the staging opened up like never before. YMMV, but perhaps this is why one of the schematics floating around on the web has the phasing opposed.

Old 3rd February 2012, 06:35 AM   #1058
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the idea Jackinnj, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Wife unit is asleep right now and it would not end well for me if I were to "tweak" the speaker right now.
Ron
Old 3rd February 2012, 02:55 PM   #1059
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
space charged
diyAudio Member

Jackinnj and Renron, after the change I listened for three hours and noticed a fine graininess to the sound. Switched out the F5 for a Borbley DC100 and the grain was gone. Now I'm wondering if maybe the current limiting of the F5 was kicking in and causing this.

Perhaps the crossover with the dip in it was filtering out the distortion products at around the 1.5k notch? With the notch removed the grain/distortion is exposed.

I believe both of you also have the F5 and would be interested in your observations.

Old 3rd February 2012, 06:53 PM   #1060
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll let you know Ichi.
Ron

Hide this!Advertise here!