Clarity on Seas Thor Kit - Page 103 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2011, 11:29 PM   #1021
diyAudio Member

Default Surround system?

Hello everyone, first post.

I am building a new house with a semi-dedicated HT and I am trying to decide whether to build the five or more surround speakers myself or just buy some B&W CT7.3 in-cabinets (costing 1,500 each).

I came across the PMC Fact.8 tower and Fact.3 standmount. I love how they look and I like what the reviewers comment. But these are way over budget at 6,000 for a pair of the towers. The Fact.3 costs not much less.
Fact.8 Loudspeaker Specifications

After a search, I found the Thors on the Seas website and this lead to this thread, which I scrolled through for the last few hours! Few! I might consider the Small Thor, which is more elegant. These would even fit behind an AT screen as centre speaker, even if that means that it is close to the wall. Would the Thor perform as good as the Fact? I happen to own a pair of open baffle Jamo R909 (bought used...) which I find brilliant. Clean, open sound and deep but very tight bass. Incapable of boomy bass! The midrange is Seas, tweeter is Scanspeak Revelator. These were bought for the large open plan area in the new house.

I did audition the Klipsch in-cabinet system. OK for movie, but lacking for music: to sharp in the high frequencies. Maybe missing some mid-bass. The 3-way B&W CT7.3 sounds much better with music.

I also thought about the Jensen from Troels Gravesen (with aperiodic vents). These are 3-way and also not cheap to do.
Jensen 1071 built by Tom

Other info is that the room is about 5,000 cubic feet and cladded with drywall. And I am building a pair of LLT subwoofers with Maelstrom 18-inchers... Weather stopped the house build, so these will finally be assembled, time to decide about the main speakers. If I can't get better sound than the B&W's (the CM9 + CM centre 2 also considered), I won't bother. Should I bother? I have experience in cabinet making, none in electronics. The Madison kit with improved assembled X-overs seem tempting. Maybe some German or Dutch shop offers the same kits.

Any suggestion is welcome.
Old 25th August 2011, 05:51 AM   #1022
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,

New member here. I am wanting to build the odin mk3 with the new xover design from jimangie???

I am wanting to make a few changes:

The internal cabinet size will be the same as the original design from seas. Is it best to port the speaker or seal it like jimanjie?

I intend to make the baffle protrude 25mm out from the cabinet and have rounded edges. The flat surface of the baffle will remain the same as the original design.

Will this effect BSC? If so, what changes are necessary?

Old 25th August 2011, 06:09 AM   #1023
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serioushifi View Post
I intend to make the baffle protrude 25mm out from the cabinet and have rounded edges. The flat surface of the baffle will remain the same as the original design.

Will this effect BSC? If so, what changes are necessary?
Go you mean that the baffle will extend out sideways? Ie making the baffle 11" wide instead of 9"? A sketch might help.

This will affect BSC and if the baffle just sticks out it will increase the amount of ripple.

dave
Old 25th August 2011, 06:43 AM   #1024
diyAudio Member

Picture would be good.
Old 25th August 2011, 06:46 AM   #1025
diyAudio Member

Okay.... side view. The flat surface of the baffle remains the same, along with the width of the baffle flat surface. But 25mm on the top, bottom, and sides is added for the curve.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th August 2011, 07:52 AM   #1026
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The drawing still leaves me not understanding what you want to do... are you adding a skin of an extra 25mm to get a bigger roundover?

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif odin-sideView.gif (12.7 KB, 291 views)
Old 25th August 2011, 08:53 AM   #1027
diyAudio Member

I have used your picture and added what we are thinking of doing....think jamo d830 protruding baffle and curved edges.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 0e940.gif (18.5 KB, 292 views)

Last edited by wintermute; 25th August 2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: delete link and add image.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:04 AM   #1028
diyAudio Member

This one may explain things a little better...
Attached Images
File Type: gif 9ffcd.gif (9.9 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by wintermute; 25th August 2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: attached image and removed link.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:56 AM   #1029
diyAudio Member

now my images arent working....arghhh!
Old 25th August 2011, 10:14 AM   #1030
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I've downloaded the image and attached it serioushifi I'll do the other one too. Best thing to do is upload the images. If you aren't in the advanced editor, click Go Advanced and then you have options for uploading images.

Tony.

Hide this!Advertise here!