Clarity on Seas Thor Kit - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2010, 09:41 PM   #1001
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jimangie

I picked up the drivers this morning and put in the order for the XO. I'm still waiting on the quote in order to see how close they can come to your design. Sounds like it'll be on two boards. One 11" x 5.5 and the other 6" x 6"
Old 12th September 2010, 07:39 PM   #1002
diyAudio Member

I've had the parts for the 3rd order Thor XO (the one which appeared on Madisound's webforum and which was also posted here). Finally wired it together yesterday. This is just the electrical response into purely resistive loads for the Madisound XO from the original AX article, and the modified XO:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th September 2010, 08:37 PM   #1003
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Finally wired it together yesterday.

Anxiously awaiting your thoughts / opinions with the new XOs.

Ron
Old 13th September 2010, 08:33 AM   #1004
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

The Thor has been a DIY kit gold standard for years. Recently, the Gedlee line of speakers has gained notoriety in the same area. Has anyone heard both? I am curious to read a side by side review of these two speakers. If nobody has done this yet I think it is time someone made this happen.
Old 13th September 2010, 01:27 PM   #1005
diyAudio Member

No attempt to economize on space -- I used 3M 3779 Hot Melt Adhesive on 3/8" phenolic board.

Old 13th September 2010, 04:17 PM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Well, I've had my Odins with Jimangie's modified XO up and running for a couple months now and have a few hundred hours on them and would like to share my impressions on my first DIY.

The build was very straight forward and not very complicated using SEAS standard Odin box design. I was a little hesitant on the veneering, but with the right tools it made it a snap.

When I first hooked them up to my test system, a vintage Yamaha R-1000 I immediately noticed how detailed the highs and voices sounded, but they were very constrained and didn't present a very wide field of sound. The bass was also lacking and figured I'd need a subwoofer, but not that big of a deal. I knew that they needed some serious hours logged on them to be fully broken in, but to be honest I was a little discouraged for as much money and time I had invested.

Fast forward to the present and they don't even sound like the same speakers anymore. The imaging of the vocals in well recorded music is truly outstanding. Alison Krauss in "Lonely Runs Both Ways" is incredible. "Russia on Ice" by Porcupine Tree is a song I love to use to put a pair of speakers thru its paces due to its wide range of sound. From a single cymbal that sounded crystal clear with just the right amount of sustain and fade to a bottoming out string of notes from the keyboards. The sound is fast and tight and not fatiguing in any way. I work from home and they are playing constantly throughout the day and sometimes at more than moderate volumes.

I no longer have the urge to get a sub woofer as the bass in my office environment with the Odins now hooked up to a Pioneer SX-1080 is more than adequate and actually quite surprising the amount of bass that these 7" woofers put out. After break in the lower end really came alive. I've never had experience with breaking in speakers, but these really benefited from being played and they just continue to get better.

I'm sold on SEAS drivers and I'm already looking for my next project with them, preferably something with a 10" driver to be a truly full range speaker.

Thanks for everyone's help and I couldn't recommend Madisound any more for anyone looking to build their own speakers. There were awesome! I live in Madison and stopped over there a couple of times and they were always quick to help me out with my questions and show me around.

Here's a link to some pics

Odin - DIY Speakers pictures by turbox2 - Photobucket
Old 13th September 2010, 09:09 PM   #1007
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
space charged
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've had the parts for the 3rd order Thor XO (the one which appeared on Madisound's webforum and which was also posted here). Finally wired it together yesterday. This is just the electrical response into purely resistive loads for the Madisound XO from the original AX article, and the modified XO:
Looked on the Mad-webforum and couldn't locate a XO. Do you refer to the one in post #998 ?

Old 29th September 2010, 12:30 PM   #1008
diyAudio Member

The weather stinks here, and I am not about to trudge these things outside to measure the XO's so I just set it up for a rough and dirty nearfield approximation of the two XO's -- the first is the design as it appeared in AX -- a first order LPF and 3rd order HPF and the correction made for the magnesium:

and this is the result for the XO as it appeared here and on Madisound's forum --

Old 29th September 2010, 02:16 PM   #1009
diyAudio Member

Shoulda mentioned (or questioned) -- with the 3rd order "Madisound" XO crossed over so much lower, and the steeper slope -- is the compensation for the 4.5kHz paired woofer peak even necessary?

Should be pretty obvious that the D'Appolito sounds leagues better than the Madisound.
Old 30th September 2010, 04:37 PM   #1010
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
space charged
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The weather stinks here, and I am not about to trudge these things outside to measure the XO's so I just set it up for a rough and dirty nearfield approximation of the two XO's -- the first is the design as it appeared in AX -- a first order LPF and 3rd order HPF and the correction made for the magnesium:

and this is the result for the XO as it appeared here and on Madisound's forum --

I'm not seeing A graphic here, should there be one?

Also, never got a response to post#1007.

Hide this!Advertise here!