Vifa Pl18wo Or Xg18wh - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2005, 03:07 AM   #1
bowdown is offline bowdown  Australia
diyAudio Member

Question Vifa Pl18wo Or Xg18wh

Hi guys just wandering if someone can give me info on these 2 woofers(PL18WO-09-08 and XG18WH00-08), i am planning on building a 20-23L ported box tuned at around 40hz using one of these drivers and i need to mate it with the XT25TG-30-04(already got the tweeter). I am after sound quality as well but i would like to stay with a choice of these 2 drivers if possible.Im trying to achieve sound quality to dollar value as these drivers are not too expensive but seem to be of quite a good quality. Just not too sure whcich will work best with the xt25. Absolutely any info would be very appreciated.I would like to keep it the same brand too if possible. But will gladly take any advice given to me seriously.

Regards

Bowdown
Keep up the diy spirit
Old 23rd September 2005, 03:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Those wood pulp drivers will have a definite rise before you get up to the tweeters crossover point. I had that wooden drivers already. They look cool but i dont think they are all that practical in a 2 way. Thats an opinion by the way. I never did put them in a box and play them for 2 weeks so i could actually hear what they would sound like. I just Modeled them.
Old 23rd September 2005, 04:15 AM   #3
tktran is offline tktran  Australia
Account Disabled

You're in luck

Good design all figured out (best for people without measuring equipment IMHO)

http://home1.stofanet.dk/troels.grav...x_b/PL18XT.htm
Old 23rd September 2005, 06:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh wicked guys thanx heaps for helping me out, gees that link is probably just what i was looking for. Has anyone ever had a listen to that configureation? I guess i should just buy the PL18 woofer.

Thanx again

regards

Bowdown
Keep up the diy spirit!!
Old 6th October 2005, 09:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi guys sorry its me again i was looking at one of these 2 way systems and was wandering which one would be better?

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...la/nebula.html

and the Korrekt from this one

http://www.audiocomponents.nl/speake...t-line_eng.htm

I look at the one that tktran posted but worked out to be too expensive due to so many cross over parts. Please Please help.

Regards

Bowdown
Old 6th October 2005, 09:12 AM   #6
jomor is offline jomor  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bowdown
Hi guys sorry its me again i was looking at one of these 2 way systems and was wandering which one would be better?

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...la/nebula.html

I doubt if this kit does what it promises. I can't think that a serious designer would put the drivers non-flush mounted and the box edges that sharp. Especially the tweeter's plate edges create major peaks and dips due to diffraction, which is not shown in this kit's measurement plot at all... (to be fair, the first plot is a simulation from Speaker Workshop, which uses the actual measurements of the drivers for the simulation, so the dips and peaks of the tweeter should be visible)

I vote for the Troels Gravesen design, at least its certain that he knows what he is doing.

Besides the vertical axis of the SPL graph has a range of 180 dB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 6th October 2005, 09:41 AM   #7
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

the PL18 is a very nice driver, but to my opinion the 17WN225-8 is even better (and cheaper too), because it was build with midrange purposes in mind. It features a very leightweight moving system and a nearly perfect roll-off and step response. This helps keeping the crossover very simple. I build a box using two of those and the XT25. Because the XT is bit too low in SPL for this, I had a spherical horn made from massive aluminium. The very positive effects were, that the SPL of the XT went up to a 100dB@2kHz with an constant tilt towards the upper frequencies. This leads to smaller values in the crossover, as well as reduced distortion and higher dynamic range. The horn is loaded up to more than 15kHz with a nice roll off above. People said, they hardly ever heard the XT soo smooth but so dynamic alltogether. An additional effect is that the Tweeter is 38mm ´behind´ the woofers, which gave an excellent overall step-response!
The box has an SPL of 93db/2.83V/1m and is intended to be postioned close to the wall, for smaller rooms and for shorter hearing distances.
In rooms greater than app. 25m˛ You should add a good subwoofer. My preferred setup is the new KR-Audio A340 a SE-Triode amp featuring the marvellous KR-300BXLS Triode. It delivers app. 25 of the best Watts You can get :-) Actively crossed over to an dipole Sub You can play levels well above pain with this amp and run this setup in large rooms.

jauu
Calvin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calvini small.jpg (70.7 KB, 471 views)
Old 6th October 2005, 09:56 AM   #8
jomor is offline jomor  Greece
diyAudio Member

Impressive project Calvin! Could you post more pics/details ?
Old 6th October 2005, 03:02 PM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Very nice indeed Calvin. Please do post more pics and details.

Cal
Old 6th October 2005, 04:46 PM   #10
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Pics

Hi,

the horn for the XT25

jauu
Calvin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calvini_ht small.jpg (73.9 KB, 371 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!