Scan-Speak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess 230 a driver puts it out of usual DiY hands :(

I am going to buy them and try them anyway i guess. I have a goal of eventually having a room like Dave's ( Planet-10 ) where i have every concievable speaker known to man available to play with. ;)

That picture of your place Dave, when the boys were over playing with their toy's, a few weeks back. That shot made me drool. 1 hour in your basement would give me months worth of toys to play with.

I guess this comes a bit late, but I'm confused by what you mean by "don't model well". Both 8545 and the 8530 are *very* highly regarded drivers and are used in some successful designs. The 8545 in the ProAc Response 2 for example, which has spawned several cloning attempts - there is tons on info here in diyaudio on it.
There isn't that much diy feedback on the 8530 (probably due to price as you point out), but if you search on the Madisound forum several folks suggest it's the finest midbass they've ever heard (I'm not entirely sure how the 8530 differs from the 4531 other than impedance, though). It's used in many high-end designs, and in the more modest (to a degree) ACI Sapphire XL which according to reviews is up there with the best mini-monitors. The XL is crossed at (I think) 2.7k, so the driver can be pushed a bit more than many other midbasses.

So, there is no question the drivers are capable of delivering good results. Now, whether they're appropriate for your project and/or worth the money is a completely different question

The Morel as well gets amazing reviews but like the Scan-speak is horribly inefficient one of them is also 85 db. The 15m i think would be a better purchase for me as i need the midrange more then i need mid-bass. I am still trying to work out in my head and on paper how i can utilize all the drivers i will end up with by christmas :xeye:

4 x 10's - 2 x 6.5 - 2 x 7" ribbon - 2 x 25 mm ring radiator tweeters - and possibly 2 x 5.25 scan-speak mid ranges .:dodgy:

My brain smokes at the possibilties and also shudders at it all going horribly wrong :eek:

First things first though. have to finish aquiring the electronics. I only ordered the tweeters now because i could. Cant afford thos 15m scan-speaks at the moment though. :mad:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.