Sonab OD-11, any good? suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

Before I go back to my Zigmahornet project.. I just found 12, yes, "12" of these Sonab speakers for near to nothing.

Nice bass reflex boxes, roughly 1 cubic foot, with sloped top and inclined drivers. Something like a 6" woofer and a small tweeter.

Most woofers have foam rot problems, and many tweeters are either missing or blown. These speakers had a bad life in a bar.

So, what are they? are they worth having new suspensions and looking for tweeters? or are only the cabinets re-usable?

Sylvain

from that site....

"You have four alternatives:
1. Get new surrounds for the woofers. Either you do it your self or have someone perform the operation for you. Surrounds can be found if you search the internet.
2. Another possibility is to find a shop selling speaker units, the will probably know who can put new surrounds on your speakers.
3. Get in contact with CarlssonPlanet and see if we can help you, http://www.carlssonplanet.com/ShowPage.asp?p=contact.
4. Get new woofers.
This is valid for the Scan-speak 18W/8542 and the earlier models of SC 165 (Peerless 6.5��). The Scan-Speak 18W/8545 and the SC 165 Mk III and Mk IV have rubber surrounds that are age proof. See Restoring and upgrading.

What units do you recommend when buying new woofers?
If it is the SC 165 (6.5�� Peerless woofer) we recommend that you buy the new SC 165 (6.5�� Peerless woofer) also known as B65-oa it has model no 831881.
Tweeters we recommend using the Peerless CT62 instead which is a recommended upgrade anyhow. "

Only problem is, Peerless have change hands recently, and dropped many of their older drivers.

"How" do I dismantle the front baffle?

Many months have passed since my last post.. too many projects, too little time. Before I start my "Autograph" project, I'd like to bring back to life one of these Sonab.

I have seen the Carlsson site and read the suggestions, but these questions remain:

1- I have removed the drivers, but I must remove the front plastic molded baffle to get access to the bottom, if I want to install new binding posts.
I have removed all screws, but it seems stuck there. How do I remove it without damaging the cabinet?

2- Where can I find replacement for the Peerless tweeters? (CT62)

Thanks

Sylvain

Many months have passed since my last post.. too many projects, too little time. Before I start my "Autograph" project, I'd like to bring back to life one of these Sonab.

I have seen the Carlsson site and read the suggestions, but these questions remain:

1- I have removed the drivers, but I must remove the front plastic molded baffle to get access to the bottom, if I want to install new binding posts.
I have removed all screws, but it seems stuck there. How do I remove it without damaging the cabinet?

2- Where can I find replacement for the Peerless tweeters? (CT62)

Thanks

Sylvain

Bonjour Sylvain,

si tu as encore une paire de c'est Sonab je serais intéressé à en acheter une ou deux

merci

Sonab OD-ll Tweeter Mount

Hi folks,

Before I go back to my Zigmahornet project.. I just found 12, yes, "12" of these Sonab speakers for near to nothing.

Nice bass reflex boxes, roughly 1 cubic foot, with sloped top and inclined drivers. Something like a 6" woofer and a small tweeter.

Most woofers have foam rot problems, and many tweeters are either missing or blown. These speakers had a bad life in a bar.

So, what are they? are they worth having new suspensions and looking for tweeters? or are only the cabinets re-usable?

Sylvain

Hello,
I received a pair of Sonab OD-11s from a friend's estate and one of the tweeter mounts is missing. I would like to know what I have to do to obtain one of these from your inventory. Everything else looks to be in good shape except for the surrounds on the woofers. Congrats on the nice find.

Thanks,
Lee
Marana, AZ
smithly_2@yahoo.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.