ATC cone resin coating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ATC cone resin coating Post #1

I'm not familiar with the ATC speakers, so let me ask you a question. What is the sticky stuff to be used for? For the life of me, I can't imagine why you'd want to use something like that. For cone "doping" there are a lot of homebrew substances, with different properties that DIY'ers are using. It greatly depends on what you're trying to achieve and at what frequencies are being damped. IOW; do you want to stiffen the cones for breakup or to extend the FR or just clean up the midrange or........?
Another thought is, that whatever they (ATC) use, it's addressing a particular problem that they have with their units. If you're using different drivers then it may call for a different (or no) solution.
I'm sorry if I'm not understanding what you want to know, but these are some considerations to keep in mind.
Best Regards,
TerryO

If you want to experiment, try doing a search on this site using "damping", cone damping, doping, etc,. Also try the Fullrange driver forum and Audio asylum forums as well. You should get a lot of hits from those. This a subject that has been extensively covered over the years.
Good hunting!
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.