Port ? with NSB line array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Building a short line array(4 NSB's) for my garage. Using 1/2" MDF. External dimensions are 7" wide, 24" tall, 12" deep. Will have one internal brace 1/2 way down between the middle drivers bracing the front, sides and rear.

Driver mods are the usual. Rope caulking on the speaker baskets, treated cone and potential hole in dust cover.

Power will be from my retired HT receiver. Drivers will be wired for 8ohm.

Should I port the box and if so what should that porting be? Remember these are garage speakers that will be heard as I lay under my racecar working on it. I might add some of the buyout tweeters later but no plans right now.

if you ever plan to do any woodworking in the garage, I woulndt be so keen on making a hole in the dust cap. Its there for a reason. (keep dust out of the gap) In an environment like the garage, I would think there would be more dust and other things that could potentially get into the voice coil/gap than in your typical listening environment.

Thats a good point. I was going to do the mods listed on PE for the NSB. I'll skip that one. I imagine laying under my car I won't be able to tell a difference.

With that(carpentry dust) in mind should I skip the port and live with what I get from the sealed enclosure or will it make that much of a difference?

The best NSB mod is cone treatment. Try 4 thin laquer coats.
Don't mess around with any other mod unless you think you need to solve a specific problem.

Porting NSB. Try a 2 cubic foot box for all four NSB's, tuned to
85hz. Rear port will be a ~ 5.75" hole approx 1/2" port length which happens to be the thickness of your wood. If you use 3/4" wood, cut a 6" hole.

You can always place another piece of wood on the back with
a hinge to close the port and make it sealed to tame some of the boomier upper midbass.

If you can't do 2 cubic foot, only 0.8 cubic foot, then tune it
to 110hz with a 4" hole cutout in 1/2" wood. It's not as good as the 2 cubic foot idea but you still have the option to plug the port.

I really need to finish my NSB line array. For me, wood working is just so much, well, work. :) Just need to stain it, build a base for the baffles, wire xover and everything up.

From a little carboard test baffle I made, the NSB's really dont sound like a .49cent speaker. Not spectacular, but a good cheapy speaker.

NSB's or any driver in an array may sound better as distortion is
lower for the same SPL as the single driver, ie an NSB alone is not
exactly a low distortion design and when you push it hard, you can
hear distortion if you have a good ear.

But place alot of them in a line array and you can operate each NSB
at reduced output giving you very clean sound and the line arrays
boosts output to allow higher SPL. If you wire them for low impedance,
more sensitivity - hehe

You really see the benefits when you do big line of NSB vs. a smaller
line. My 5 NSB test box is no match for the line of 16 I made.

If this is for a garage stereo, then go bigger like this. No need
for anything fancy, just do a small sealed tower.
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/showthread.php?t=225275

Try it without a tweeter to save some cash.

NSB "9" array(Ha Ha)

Was motivated enough this weekend to start cutting wood. Building one cabinet to experiment with. Initial wiring with be with cat5 cable and crimped ends. Will start coating the cones tonight and routing holes. Looks like I can build one for about $20. Will have some pics in a few days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.