Advice on amplifier for tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Request - some advice on selecting an amplifier for tweeters.

I am currently building a 3-way system with active xover (24db Linkwiz). For the woofers (bass/mid) I use an old Quad 405 (recently restored) and a newly build Hypex UCD180. For the tweeters I currently use an old small NAD. It is the latter that has to be replaced.

I imagine something with emphasis on quality rather than power – e.g. 20W high quality, preferably DIY.

Any suggestions - Zen, Mini-A..........?

The tweeter is Vifa XT 25, the woofers are Vifa PL14 and PL22.

Yes, in fact I have, and it sounded fine in the treble, but the NAT is a very old piece of equipment and I find it very hard to assess the treble without equal high quality midrange. So no conclusion on that occasion.

But you got a point, the Hypes is easy to work with and is extraordinary god value for money.

High power for tweeters hmm……… :bulb: maybe it is demand high power in a short time? Maybe large caps relative the transformer is the answer (e.g. an UCD 180 with 125VA/20.000uF). Let me elaborate a little on my considerations.
- A 4th order Linkwitz xover ads a lot ringing to pulses so the power amplifier should not ad any thing to that at all (distortion)
- Hypes is god value for money because of the relative high power (beside high sound quality) – if, however there is an amplifier concept with special treble quality, at the cost of power it might be ideal.

So far, so good - you are confirming my thoughts, but I guess I just want it all, high quality and low price.:eek: . I think however it might be possible in this case, because tweeters only need a small part of the total system power consumption – smaller thus cheaper?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.