Old system refurb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, new guy here. Always enjoyed hi-fi since the 70's. It has been a while but I have a new project. I have 20 year old HED speakers which have CV components that are shot. A mouse ate one of the woofers! I decided to refurb the whole thing. I want to keep the enclosures since they are fine and they are for the garage. I used the speakers when working on cars and I am also the neighborhood DJ for block parties and holiday music. The sizes are 24"H X 14"W X 8.5"D inside with a 12" woofer hole, 5" mid, 3" tweet. I did some searching and found the Tempest (speakerbuilding.com) to be in the ballpark of what I am looking for. The woofers are a little out of the price range however. I like the Vifa P13MH $44 and D25AG-35 $34 combo, but I was going to substitute an Eminence W1238R for $61 instead of the $150 NHT. The W1238R has a note that calls for a vented 2' with 3" port 6" long which is pretty close to what I have. I am presenting this to the forum for a sanity check to see if I am headed in the right direction. I priced out the Tempest crossover at about $48 and was going to use it as is. All these prices are about the limit for budget that I can go.

I see no reason why it shouldn't work. With your budget as it is, this sounds like the best route frankly, as you can't afford anything else (I know that feeling!). Provided the crossover doesn't push those Eminence drivers too high (unlikely), you should be fine. The bass probably won't have the tunefullness you might expect from the pricier drivers, but this isn't really an issue if they are there for parties and the garage.
Best
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.